​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TGO Magazine Challenge reports

Submit it Louise. Too many folk read fluffy reports, and assume it is easy. They need your perspective as well. I think you have to do it.
Go for it lass

You are a nice bunch. Okay, I'll give it a go :-)

"Too many folk read fluffy reports, and assume it is easy."

This is very true Andrew, too true. Very good point.

Louise, don't let that stop you… there are many aspects to the Challenge and for so many folks it doesn't necessarily end with reaching the east coast.

One year the mag printed a report from a Challenger's partner left at home while he crossed the country. A very different perspective!

My crossing are always a bit fluffy.....

But even yer vastly experienced TGO Challengers may not necessarily reach the East Coast - apart from my own efforts, of course, its never a foregone conclusion and there's Lots Of Things To Go Wrong - so having reports from peeps who's TGO Challenge ended somewhat in advance of the North sea, for whatever reason, could be a really good thing. I myself was almost kidnapped by HM Coastguard in Knoydart and only saved by Colin Tock holding on to a leg as the red and white chopper thing (apols for the technical talk here) took off.

Having to retire can be a a depressingly emotional experience and not only would having a report or two from retirees give potential applicants a better idea of how tough a TGO can be ( not mine - all mine are really easy...) - but might also be some comfort to the batterred emotions of some of those who had to pull out but really really didn't want to.

I didn't want to pull out in 2004, but those lovely RAF helicopter people made me. Which in all honesty was spot on, what with my leg being broken.
And I was utterly gutted.
Not because of the broken leg, because they heal.
But because of all the effort, planning and disappointment.
Especially after I had thwarted the slug invasion the previous night.

Mike/Simple Pieman,

It all seems so long ago now. But even after 37 years in the North Sea helicopter industry it was still a bit hairy dangling from the leg (correct term is oleo) of the CHC Scotia- operated Coastguard Rescue Sikorsky S-92a G-CGMU (c/n 92-0034) from 1500 feet in a desperate attempt to stop HMCG whisking you off to Broadford Hospital along with Dawn and out of the Challenge. Still it was nothing more than any other vetta would have done in the circumstances and what John and Roger would have expected..... the service is since undertaken by Bristow Helicopters, unfortunately also using Sikorsky S92s and not the wonderful, magnificent S61N-- cue eminent ex S61N driver and Challenge leg-end John Dingwall for a comment?

cj