​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jack Griffiths

What terribly sad news.

As well as being a lovely man, Jack was the ultimate Leg End.

RIP Jack.

JJ

what a sad loss,ive had many a chat and a dram with jack over the years what a good innings he has had RIP jack i'll be having one for you to night,,,,

Very sad news indeed,I'll always remember Jack climbing the steel imitation
tree trunks on the Fife Arms frontage.This was after a particularly heavy
Saturday night,he was in his eighties then.He said to Myra "If i was 10 years younger I'd show you a good time tonight".May you stay Forever Young Jack.

Certainly one of the legends - he quickly realised when, I think it was on his last Challenge, that folk were keeping a friendly eye out for him and, ever resourceful, he was up and away from his camp site at first light! He was featured, with a cover photograph and an excellent article in a professional medical journal for geriatricians, as a shining example for how to keep fit and active in old age. A fantastic innings and a life well lived.

Jack’s arrival in Montrose at the end of his 1999 Challenge was featured in the local newspapers and I have a cutting somewhere showing a photo of him walking into town. He didn’t get what the fuss was about. May he rest in peace.

A gentleman of the very first and finest water. We shall not see his like again.

I remember Jack fondly from his last Challenge, above the spectacular Allt Grannda waterfalls. His leisurely stride would regularly overhaul us, and we were less than half his age. He offered encouragement with boiled sweeties from his trouser pockets.

He was a lovely man.

Jack met the geriatricians at the summit of Stob Ban in the Grey Corries; it was Marion Mitchell's last Munro and Jack, a mere 90, led us to the top. I think the medics wanted to keep him as a prize exhibit.
Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

Rest in peace Jack. A lovely man in every way.I remember him well from some of the great Challenges we had in the eighties.Always a little story from his
early life to pass the miles away. Great memories.