​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Good news from the NW

How bad is it, I am hoping to start the CWT a week today?

Sleet with a fair wind behind it at sea level this morning. Feels really cold. With luck it'll warm up before you get here. Suncream? Good luck.

Thanks for that Vanessa though looking at MWIS the forecast for today
"Frequent sudden heavy snow showers, particularly western mountains; in
afternoon and evening in particular sometimes rarely ceasing for two or three
hours. Least severe conditions Loch Lomond NP and Arran. Hail, snow to
about 45m, giving whiteout. Thunder likely."
I'm wondering if I should hop off at Carlisle and get the bus to Kirk Yetholm and walk home? Fingers crossed the weather improves for you all. Stay safe.

John,
I just got back from the Cape yesterday after toiling for 18 days.
Rain, snow and at least 3 days of sunshine.
It's an adventure I don't regret although looking out the window one night and seeing the horizontal snow I was going home.
Next morning, same window, no snow, just got going again (it rained an hour later for the rest of the day but the negative thoughts had gone.)
You will enjoy it, I did.
All the best.

Thamks for that Sandy, been planning this for months and having growing concerns that I may have to postpone. I don't mind wet feet but waist deep in a torrent is a personal no no.
I was hoping to wear trail shoes as they're more versatile imo (inov8s)but if there is snow on the ground I'm thinking boots & crocs, what would you advise having just returned?

John,
I have no experience of trail shoes.
I wore a pair of lightweight boots.
For the first few days in the rain and falling snow my feet were wet through.
On two days I was walking in lying snow, this was when higher up, crossing the Bealach Coire Sgoireadail (this avoided the Forcan ridge which was two feet deep in wet snow and the Bealach na Croise which I believe was clear of snow by the following day.
The rivers were running a bit higher than normal but there was only one that I could not safely cross so it required a short diversion.
I did have crocs and I used them on two occasions, this was when my feet were relatively dry, some crossings I just waded through. None of the crossings that I attempted were any deeper than my knees.
Apart from the snow showers the temperatures were good for walking, I was warm enough for just a top and waterproof jacket.
Similar temperatures on last years TGO event.
Hope this helps.

Its been most helpful, thankyou.