​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I know this subject has been done to death...

Jane, I think the answer lies in your question!

have worn Innov 8 trail shoes with goretex socks as required - they have been an absolute joy and I have had no problems at all with them.

Other than kicking steps without bruised tootsies, would your Meindls give you an advantage? If it's hard neve, maybe some microspikes or Yaxtrax Xtreme (which I am taking) might help.

However, our team will not go into full on winter conditions (we have FWAs for that sort of thing). We anticipate trudging over snow from time to time, but nothing too technical.

So, I would say, take what you feel most comfortable with for most of the crossing, and adapt/deviate if necessary.

Hopefully it won't be necessary

Jane

In my experience, you'll be fine in your Inov8s in the snow. Although this winter I did wear my boots when deliberately heading out into the snow, in previous winters I've been perfectly comfortable with Sealskinz and Inov8 Roclites in deepish snow. I wouldn't want to hang around doing nothing but if you keep moving then your feet should stay warm enough.

I am not taking my Kahtoola microspikes on the Challenge as I shall try my best to avoid any large areas of ice and snow but I'm happy enough to cross the occasional snowy patch in my Terrocs.

I agree with both the above, Jane. It's got a lot warmer the last few days. I think river crossings could be interesting.
Enjoy!
Vanessa