​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mini Challange Completed.

Thanks Doug for a very comprehensive report. I'll be wearing my boots and gaiters but by the sound of things we'll all get wet at some point on the crossing it's just a question of quantity! Weather forecast for the end of the week looks to be not bad (for a Challenge that is).

Mr. Grumpy
Thanks Doug for a very comprehensive report. I'll be wearing my boots and gaiters but by the sound of things we'll all get wet at some point on the crossing it's just a question of quantity! Weather forecast for the end of the week looks to be not bad (for a Challenge that is).

Dry-suit & wellies it is then!

Thanks for the report Doug, really helpful.

Good luck everyone & have a safe crossing (I'm nervous and excited!). Looking forward to meeting some of you en route & in Montrose.

Just home from a 2 day warm up and can confirm that (from what bits I could see in between cloud) NE Ben Avon relatively clear but west of Slochd Mor-ish over to Beinn a'Bhuird area absolutely plastered and as Doug says, some stonking great cornices on the remaining snow bits, just about everywhere. All the hills to the east and southeast of Inchrory virtually snow free.

Pitched beside the River Avon near Tomintoul last night and despite some very careful initial monitoring of the water level decided to repostion the Akto to higher ground at about 1030 after hearing boulders being moved in the river and observing a slight rise in levels. Presumably this was caused by snowmelt far upstream yeterday afternoon in the relatively warm (ish) conditions. Water levels back to original level by this morning. If Doug says the Builg Burn is difficult then Challengers might expect problems with the Feithe Laoigh which can often be a pig, even in reasonable conditions.

If all this amount of snow decides to melt it could make this years crossing very interesting and bringing back thoughts of horrific, and potentially life-threatening for some, crossings on last years event.

The advice has to be- be careful!

To all my fellow Challengers, have a safe and enjoyable TGOC2014.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the 2014 wishes.

Hope to be back next year.

All the best for your 2013 Challenge!

Markus Petter

Many thanks Doug, great report, the detail will be much appreciated.

Markus,

2013 or 2014, when you get to my age - whats another year?! I think I must still be trying to de-traumatise myself of the horrors of all the additional winds turbines scattered around the wonderful Ochill Hill in Perthshire last week and since my last visit.

Please pass on my very best regards to Silke when you next see her and hope to see you both next year.

regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Looking forward to having a chat with you on Challenge 2014. Don´t feel traumatised. You´re still a very fit young ager.

Will pass on your very best regards to Silke. She can´t wait to join the Challenge again and to tackle her first Munro.

The scale of industrialization in the Ochils is a real shame and a black page for the responsible political partys.

Hope you & and the rest of the lot get triple A weather.

Enjoy,
Markus