​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crampons, Ice Axes & ?

A1 reply Stuart could not agree more if its bad stay of the tops
and use a bit of common ???

Yes, well said & very sensible, but I think most of us are thinking only of a little bit of snow near the tops of otherwise clear hills, in lovely clear weather - like those pictures in the Walkhighlands report someone mentioned earlier.

I certainly have no intention of going up into full winter/avalanche territory: I do have winter climbing experience but I agree the full safe kit for such activities doesn't feel like what the Challenge is about. Seems to me this discussion relates (or did at first) to limited areas of those indeterminate, in-between conditions that you may not even know about until you're up there, or that may arise anew during the trip.

Pre-departure weather reports from "on the spot" are really useful.

hi Jean

Will update as we go along next week. Snow's melting fast at the moment although the Cairngorm summits are still plastered of course, especially Braeriach. No snow on Meall a' Buachaille (810m) at all today. Feshies and Monadhliath now looking normal snow cover for the time of year.

All of this means that the burns will be in full spate - wouldn't want to be crossing the Fords of Avon today.

Good luck to all for your final preparations.

Val

PS When I did my first Challenge(1997) this forum didn't exist, and I met nothing but friendship and kindness along the way. Well I must have enjoyed it, because I did 9 more and might not be finished yet. So if there are any firsttimers getting a negative picture of other challengers, don't worry, there all lovely in the flesh - well, nearly all....

Well, if the weather we have had today in Wales hits Scotland we will soon be debating what factor sun cream we are going to need on the Challenge and whether we will need a Tilley Hat or not. And remember folks, stay hydrated out there.