​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raptors vs Rhinogs - and a couple of trail shoe/sock questions

I tested out my new La Sportiva Raptors this past weekend in the Rhinogs and they did very well, handling all sorts of terrain, scrambling and wet rock with at least as much grip as my usual Scarpa Rangers. I'm now confident to use them for the Challenge.

The ground being largely saturated due to recent snow melt, I found that the shoes were more-or-less constantly rewet, though this went better than I expected. Overnight, both shoes and socks never dried out though. I used some older Falke socks that I've had forever, so can't vouch for which fibre they're made from, but they really weren't made for drying out -- and won't be coming on the Challenge

Firstly: any recommendations for good socks to use with trail shoes which dry reasonably quickly? (I've seen Alan Sloman's earlier review of Smartwool socks, some good ideas in there)

Secondly, for anyone who has used Raptors backpacking before: have you had yours dry out overnight when wild camping? Or does it take a spell under a roof or in a drying room?

Thanks,
Jaya John

Re: Raptors vs Rhinogs - and a couple of trail shoe/sock questions

As a Challenge newbie I'm not sure I'm qualified to reply here but my experience is that shoes/socks don't dry out in a tent and it doesn't matter. Either its a nice sunny day with dry paths and they dry out when walking the next day or. more commonly, you get wet again within 10 minutes anyway.

Hi JaJo (there's another couple of JJ's already on the Challenge)

I've just come back from a few days wandering through the bogs of the Outlying Fells with a few Challengers on our annual PreWalkDaunder and was wearing Raptors.

As Ian says above, your socks will remain soggy but the important thing is to wash them out each night to get rid of the silty stuff that settles in pools between the toes, as this can cause friction and possibly blisters. No matter how beastly the weather, make sure you wash your socks out each night and then stick them back on soaking in the morning. I have recently chosen to wear a very thin pair of Bridgedale liner socks - they push the moisture away from your tootsies.

As Ian says - they will dry out if it's sunny or they will be soaked through in minutes when ploughing through bog and streams.

The mesh of the uppers on Raptors is quite coarse (which means the shoes drain really quickly) and so allows silt to pass into the shoe quite readily - hence to need to rinse out your socks as often as possible.

I hope this helps

Hi Jaya

Based on past experience of walking in non-membrane on TGOC, the only thing I'd add to what's already been said would be to consider taking a pair of Sealskinz socks as well as your pairs merino socks.

With the existing snow cover here in Scotland you'll be glad of the extra isulation expecially on windy, cold days. even if they fail (as Sealskinz do in my experience) and your feet are damp they will keep your feet warmer, cleaner and grit/dirt free if walking for long periods in snow or bog.

Let us know how you got on after the Challenge!

I like Sealskinz socks as camp socks. Means you can put your wet shoes back on without getting wet feet.

For socks, I use X socks trekking socks.
Used on 3 challenges.
Utterly brilliant and very quick to dry.
I use innov 8 Roclites.

Have used Sealskins, but found they are just not waterproof and don't dry when wet.
I use Gortex bike socks over the x socks when it is really wet, and they work well for me

Sealskin socks may be ok for camp socks.

In the tent I use Goosefeet down socks.
They are a bloody marvellous indulgence.

The other thing that helps when it is wet, is to rub Gehwol foot cream into feet at start and end of the day.

I have had Sealskinz fail on previous Challenges, but they do continue to provide insulation and wind resistance in snow and on cold, windy days. something that could be VERY useful for the conditions likely to be encountered on this year's Challenge!

They also keep out all the grit and gunk that Alan refered to in his post. They keep your feet clean even when wet.

I'd prefer to wear Merino socks any time, but I think Sealskinz and similar do have their place when wearing non-membrane trail shoes.

I'm with Andrew on the Gehwol foot creams: Extra before setting off in the morning and Refreshing Balm after cleaning feet at night; Exellent stuff!

I'm with Andrew Walker. X socks are superb. I get the Trek Lite model. Available on the net from ultralight outdoor gear.

Not enough Merino in them for my liking!!!

Thanks everyone for all the tips!