​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which Whiskey????

Ian C.
I'll be carrying cask strength Laphroaig.

I was thinking Laphroaig too, it would be appropriate if the weather is anything like last year.

Re: Which Whisky????

If you like Speyside, you might like Old Pulteney, which isn't a Speyside but is very drinkable all the same. And currently on offer in Booths for £20 a bottle - bargain!

Had I been coming, it would have been Lagavulin for me - I like the "in your face" whiskies

We Scots can be a bit precious about spelling - 'whiskey' is a brown alcoholic liquid from Ireland or France. It can be palatable but is not whisky.

One reasonable way to choose whisky is to see what's on special offer (we Scots can also be tight) but if you like soft, subtle whisky then Glenmorangie is excellent. I've also recently been enjoying Glendronach recently and Glenfarclas is a great example of a Speyside malt. Bruichladdich is an Islay malt which is not as peaty and antiseptic as the other Islays like Lagavulin - available in Oddbins but tends to be quite expensive.

But you shouldn't write off blends - Famous Grouse is an excellent whisky.

My whisky is Tamdhu. My hubby prefers Cardhu. Both are Speyside. Glenmorangie is a good, reliable Highland malt we both enjoy. And there's probably quite a few more I could put on that list....

Already I can see this is going to be fun...

Mr G - had a look at the Highland Park website - and there are some absolutely fascinating videos of tasting on there, a real education.

I thought whiskey was Irish and whisky was Scottish?

See...I'm learning all the time.

I assume we are all talking Whisky. But the choice is yours....

Don't take the ones you don't feel burning once swallowed.

Tallisker, Highland Park, MacAllan are great.

I won't be taking any of them (we Dutch are even tighter than the Scots) and hope to be offered a wee dram along the way ).
I'll stick to the one and only original Uisge Beatha.

I'm still working my way through the list - so I haven't decided yet which is my favourite.........

you could always take a good welsh whiskey and wind the locals up by telling them how good it is

Apparently English Whisk(e)y is not too bad as well! But that could mean instant dismissal from the Challenge.

I'd go for a Jura myself. Always finishes clean.

Thanks for the advice. Where can I get it at a good price in Glasgow? Close to the train stations.

William

Number 2 son visited last week with an Islay malt (Bruichladdich Distillery)gifted by a friend for his birthday. Called Black Arts, I (a Talisker addict) thought it delicious, and worth a change.

Price £95.50!!!!. So not an option for the challenge!

Slainte.

12 year Speyside single malt - Ben Bracken - £16.99 (L!dl but just don't mention that bit) good enough to drink with just a drop of fresh burn water, cheap enough to splosh into your hot chocolate after a wet day on the hill.

Thank you all for your responses. I / We have decided that we should take a 'coffee' whisky, and a 'sippin' whisky.

Cheers all

Best prices for whisky is usually in the supermarkets but not really any of these near the stations apart from the city centre metro stores. Oddbins in Mitchell St (less than 10 minutes walk from Queen St station, between Central and Queen St) has an excellent selection.

Hmmm. I'm afraid my favourite tipple is Earl Grey, blended by Taylors of Harrogate. You don't have to drink to enjoy the Challenge and Braemar has good teashops - you don't have to go to the Fife.
(In all seriousness, after reading about all the drinking stories I was unnecessarily nervous when I was a first-timer that I might not fit in. In reality it's just not an issue.)

Stan,

No need to explain, this thread could have as easily been called 'what's your tipple'. I too love a cuppa, as I'm sure many others in this thread do. Whisky or Tea, it's up to thee. Brilliant if I say so myself.

To others, there is a great little Whisky shop just down the main road from Fort William station. A very helpful chap inside, I just can't remember the name of the lovely stuff he sorted me out with. Hence this thread. I am sure there are Tea shops too. :-)

The only really good cup of coffee I have ever drunk on a Challenge was brewed up by Hump3. If you can track him down and hang around looking really miserable he may take pity on you; but don't tell him I said so!

For a Whiskey, I would take a Bushmill, But for a Whisky, then it has to be a Lagavullin, it'll put a fire in your belly and fog your vision in no time, But the best bit is that it can be used as a general anesthetic at the end of the day when the body is aching from hours of toil, it works from the feet up.
It does tend to cause you to get your wucking mords fuddled up when the anesthetic hits the head!