​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Printing your own maps

I take both Anquet print-outs, blown up to 125% scale for easy reading, and OS sheets, 2 at a time, the others cached and swapped over at my pick-up points and the finished ones being posted home in a (cached) pre-stamped and addressed plastic envelope.

Best map cases going cost £1 for 15 (zip-seal freezer bags) in Poundland. You can fold them up into a pocket and they are reusable for a while.

Hi Stuart,

I always print off 1:50K maps of my days walks (and FWA) double sided on waterproof paper. I find that a lot easier to carry and slip into my jacket pocket. Its all to scale so using the compass is not an issue. If I need to go FWA of FWA - which has happened for the past two years - I have GPS mapping on more than one device. I never said I travel light

A couple of other thoughts.
For areas where I might need fine navigation I print off at 1:25000 to avoid the need to wear my specs if it's raining (I know that's rare!).
Consider Harvey's maps at 1:40000. They're designed for hill-walking so have a better spread, avoiding awkward joins. Their Cairngorm sheet goes from Glen Feshie to beyond Lochnagar, while their Knoydart, Kintail and Affric sheet is good for at least three days TGO walking. They're waterproof too.
Myself, I've a set of 1:50000 printouts, a couple of 1:25000 sections, a Harveys Cairngorm sheet (in a supply box) and my GPS with map display in case of a major reroute (otherwise it's switched off in my pack).
My companion has a comparable combination.