​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Plockton start short cut in forest

We start from Plockton cross the A890 following scots way route Stromeferry to Loch long.In a old Kintail mountain rescue book where to walk it shows a route leaving the forest track from NG 887 329 to NG 902 332 going to the north of Carn na Creige to rejoin the track this would save over a mile .Has anybody tried this recently

Re: Plockton start short cut in forest

Went that way with Alan Sloman in 2006. The line of the path then was just about discernable, being marked here and there with bits of yellow tape tied to twigs (probably long gone now).

No real other evidence on the ground and it was a bit of a struggle - boggy and tussocky with the odd fallen tree to clamber through. It was do-able (in thast we did it) but a time consuming and unrewarding experience.

It doesn't seem to have improved, judging by this Geograph picture from 2009.

No doubt a more recent pilgrim will be along with some up to date info.

Phil Lambert
Went with Alan Sloman in 2006... and it was a bit of a struggle.. a time consuming and unrewarding experience. It doesn't seem to have improved

I say the same thing about walking with Phil, you know... "It's a masochism thing" according to Miss Whiplash...

I don't remember it being that bad, but that might be because we had been celebrating all the way up to Plockton (almost missing it when we rolled off the train - remember to turn right when you leave the station - left takes you to the aerodrome) and didn't stop until a few hours before setting off for the east coast. The day was a wonderful blur.

You can see photos of that day's route by clicking HERE It was new for me when I looked.

Sadly we may never see the Balmacaan's or indeed the Monadhliath that way again.
On a plus not..Or Phil's belly.

2011 and the path from your GR out into open country was virtually impassable, OK it was impassable in that we couldn't get through without major surgery, either to forest or ourselves. Detoured around the path to the south of Carn na Creige but that disappears fairly shortly after where you would have re-entered the woods. Ended up just getting out of the trees and heading where at least you could see where you were going. If you're heading towards Bendronaig Lodge you may be interested in a superb camp site just to the NW of Loch Fuar where waterfall is shown on map. In a steep sided depression below the waterfall there's a lovely grassy patch, plenty of room for 4 tents or more - probably best not considered if it's wet and the burn is high. I'd include a photograph if only I knew how!

Thanks looks like we go the long way

Bit late now, but I was there in 2009 and posted this also on Geograph here. I did manage to get through but it was extremely difficult. What made you ask about this particular piece of track marked on the map?

Colin Bennett