​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Falls of Glomach

Hi Chris

I have a really rotten head for heights (for example, I just can't *do* wire bridges) but even I managed the path up the Falls of Glomach. The occasional drops are quite challenging for the vertically challenged and there are one or two spots where it feels a bit "iffy", but they are matters of just a moment or so.

Having got up to the Falls, both Phil Lambert and I thought it wouldn't have been a very pleasant experience in gusty wet weather. Because of this, when I planned my LEJOG going in the opposite direction, I went down into Glen Elchaig via the path down alongside Allt Coire Easaich, a couple of km to the NE.

However! This was not so great either, as there was a section alongside the waterfalls where the path had been washed away by a landslip, and I resorted to sliding down on my backside. I seem to recall from reading other Challengers' reports that this path is still in a poor condition.

Perhaps the safest way up in crappy weather would be to take the path that branches off the Allt Coire Easaich path and then dropping back down to Loch Lon Mhurchaidh.

Good luck - sounds like a great warm-up.

Re: Falls of Glomach

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that info. I've now got Plans A, B, C, D and E, so I should be alright. I suspect the weather will have the final word. On the other hand, Plan F is to research the accuracy of the claims all those hotels along the shores of Loch Alsh and Loch Duich make about their bars being the very epitome of Scottish hospitality. Should get me nicely warmed up. Decisions, decisions.

Chris