​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camping at Loch Morlich

I third or fourth that for the Colyumbridge campsite - it's my favourite commercial site in the Cairngorms! (That I've stayed in so far anyway!)

Hi Kirsten,

I have camped at the Morlich Camp site on many occasions and have never been charged the amount they have quoted you. They have always accepted a food parcel without restriction and the staff has been most helpful.

I have found making the initial contact by phone to be the most successful way of obtaining the full attention of campsite or other accommodation providers. Then you can mention the Challenge (they will be aware of it), emphasize the small backpacking tent you will be using just for one night and tentatively mention a small food parcel.

I follow up with an e-mail confirming what was agreed. I also add a note to the effect that I am responsible for my own safety and not to press the panic button if I don't turn up on time or at all, removing any responsibility from them for my welfare.

I had tentatively booked to camp there last year but because of the horrendous weather chose the Cairngorm Lodge SYHA opposite the camp site. Fabulous stay there, best drying room I have ever come across anywhere in UK and excellent food.

Don't forget the café and shop attached to the campsite. Again excellent meals at the café with a grandstand view of the wildlife from the veranda windows and a well stocked shop.

I have had the backpackers discount at this site - it was a few years ago, but I think it was half the normal fee. Fabulous site - stay there frequently with my husband, car camping. Agree the shop is well stocked and the cafe is well worth a visit. Sit where you can watch birds on the feeders....

And the cafe has now got a bar....

talking of bars don't forget it's only a short stroll up to Glenmore Lodge

... and a roll back down hill afterwards

Many thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I did give them all the information in my original e-mail and had read the rates on the website, but perhaps the employee who replied was ill-informed. I'll check my distances again and then decide whether to chase Loch Morlich or settle for Rothiemurchus.

I shouldn't bother with sending a parcel as they have shops in Aviemore. Even with the stupid prices they charge in the outdoor shops (nearly ten quid for a spork!!!!(outrageous)), its still cheaper buying deyhdrated scoff in a shop than sending it through the post and the spotty, vaguely interested teenager who serves you will be an 'king expert unless, of course, you place your order via his twitter feed.
Or there's proper shops that sell real food and pies.
Local wild(ish) camps are also available.

Mike Knipe
I shouldn't bother with sending a parcel as they have shops in Aviemore. Even with the stupid prices they charge in the outdoor shops (nearly ten quid for a spork!!!!(outrageous)), its still cheaper buying deyhdrated scoff in a shop than sending it through the post and the spotty, vaguely interested teenager who serves you will be an 'king expert unless, of course, you place your order via his twitter feed.
Or there's proper shops that sell real food and pies.
Local wild(ish) camps are also available.

Frasers butchers has closed, if that's the pie shop you mean.

Fraser's Butchers closed?

What's the world coming to?

I mean, really....

Mike Knipe
Fraser's Butchers closed?

What's the world coming to?

I mean, really....

BLAST THIS GLOBAL WARMING!