​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camping near Loch Ericht

Hi David,

Your route actually passes Culra Lodge Bothy (NN 523 762) just short of Loch Pattack.

Culra is a large bothy consisting of three rooms with a stove in one, open fire in another and the third one unheated.

It is well used by Challengers and on the two occasions I have stayed there it has been a most enjoyable experience.

If the weather is as atrocious as last year it may be a safe haven in the storm, or you may just wish to chill out in good company in preparation for the big hike the following day!!!

There's a spot by the beck just before you get to the big lodge with all the Portuguese limestone towers an' stuff... Other than that, I ony spotted one very small camping place by the shores of Loch Ericht - posibly the most boring bit of walking West of Dalwhinnie. Turn off your mind, relax and float (walk) downstream. And get to Dalwhinnie, where there is..... bugger all....!

Pieman,

Steady on there..... I got into some serious trouble in the press and on the internet a couple of years ago for alledgedly criticising and maligning the "condition" of the high street in King....e and was dropped in it from a great height by a so-called fellow Challenger who resided in that village. Stand by for the flack as King....e is not a million miles from Dalwhinnie.......

cj

Colin and others obviously haven't sampled the delights of the revitalised bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie. It's up and running again and Ron and Marilyn are doing their best to put Dalwhinnie back on the Challenge map with great food, cosy rooms and a warm welcome. They take parcels too. It's worth pressing on along Loch Ericht for.
But as Dave Godfrey says, there's Culra Bothy too. The three-room system means the snorers can have a room to themselves (can't they, Dave !). Had a refit in 2012 and in great nick.
Best thing for the drag down Loch Ericht is to find somebody to natter with. Blogpackinglight and I redesigned no end of tents as we walked there last year.

The Dalwhinnie Bunkhouse has a website.

Link: Dalwhinnie Bunkhouse

The bunkhouse and restaurant at Dalwhinnie are excellent value.

It's a shame the tents that Stan and I designed are unlikely to see the light of day

Have a good time and hope the weather improves. I'll be watching the test match at Lord's while you're slogging your way through Scotland

David.An excellent alternative to L.Ericht if you don't need Dalwhinnie.
Good camping all the way,steady walking too.
From where you join the LR.track at NN545 789 take the LR. north
along the East side of R.Pattack cross R.to the west side on bridge
at NN544 811. Keep now on W.side of R.as far as bridge at NN553 869.
Cross back to E.side and follow FP.to small wood marked Waterfall.
At N. end of wood NN572 875 take a bearing to Meall nan Eagan NN 658.
Continue on this bearing to FP/Track going East through Allt na Sluic
and tarmac road linking with Wades old road.
None of this is difficult walking and really good pitches all the
way. No fences or bad ground.Cheers.

David a possibility for camping is near NN 588 805.

The lower track shown on the map does not exist as such, all that remains is a muddy path that may be OK for a tent. It might be hard to get the pegs in.

This may jog some other folks memories and hopefully they will comment further.

The bit I am talking about was used by the estate for storing some of their excess stonework used for the nearby Disney style buildings.

Last year my route was the same as yours at least from Loch Ossian and I found that it was a bit of a slow slog and was grateful to stay at Culra bothy far less going further.

Also there was a tearoom/cafe/bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie last year just over the crossing past the school.

I am not wanted on this years challenge (sobs) but hopefully next year.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I will get the maps out and look again...

Sandy.The GR.588 805 you mentioned is OK, in fact excellent for a bivy pitch.
But the old road and it's tarmac are still there. There's fresh
coming water through the bank too.
If the time and weather is right I go that way for a brew and
"kip"/ break. No place for a tent,plenty of shelter though with
builder's leftovers. Cheers.

Robin
The bunkhouse and restaurant at Dalwhinnie are excellent value.

It's a shame the tents that Stan and I designed are unlikely to see the light of day

Have a good time and hope the weather improves. I'll be watching the test match at Lord's while you're slogging your way through Scotland

That looks even nicer than when I was there.
It's worth going that extra mile or 10.
As long as you can bear to do the slog along the Loch.