​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: easter training!!

Ah, mon vieux! A good Medoc and a finely hung chateaubriand will give a firm foundation, n'est ce pas? After the settling of the stomach a brisk stroll of some 15km followed by an excellent degustation in one of your fine English Inns will make the training complete. M Slowman and his brave companions of La Route already explore a certain "Bimbelle" dans la Region des Lacs. It is not so far from your chateau, oui? Making the contact they will enjoy your company!

I gift you my legs and wish you good fortune.

And remain, your humble servant, Count Conn Tourlines,

Ah, bonjour Phillipe!

Jean J (Monsewer)

As an earnest first-timer the Message Board quickly made me realise I was taking all this far too seriously, so I've cut right back. I'm only going to the gym three times a week now, and on the other days I just pop out along the SW Coast Path for an amble, 20 - 25km with perhaps 800m of ascent, nothing demanding you understand. I don't have time to do a lot anyway, full-time retirement being so stressful. Is any special training needed to cope with the werewolves? - all advice gratefully received.

Chris

Chris, plenty of Garlic; you'll have no problems for anyone.

Scottish werewolves almost died out as they only drank the blood of virgins and these have always been pretty uncommon in the Highlands. Unfortunately, a small number survived and learned to turn themselves into clouds of small biting insects that are not at all fussy about what blood they drink.

Fortunately, this cold weather may keep them at bay in May but woe betide anyone who ventures to the Highland in August.

Re: Easter training На русском

Привет!
Как ты дорогая?
Мы будем в Озерном крае 17 - 20 апреля
Вы представляете себе несколько сортов пива, Терренс старый приятель?
Я свяжусь (СОД этого французского дерьмо для игры в солдаты!)
Ваш старый приятель
Алан

Here's the translation Tel.
Hi!
How are you dear?
We will be in the Lake District 17 - April 20
You fancy a few beers, Terrence old friend?
I will contact (SOD this French **** for playing soldiers!)
Your old friend
A

Full winter conditions in Lakes likely to last through Easter, have been digging snow for 2½ days here in Patterdale and ice building up now on the crags; once the weight of snow has slumped, settled or avalanched it'll be GREAT for climbing. Not so great for camping!! Bring yer axes and cramps! Anyone heading Patterdale way, call in for a cuppa! We are at Decollage, next door to the Starkey hut.

We're going to Lauder quite soon. We may well end up at Dunbar. Or we could end up floundering in deep and soft snow. It has happened.... Other training is taking place sponsored by Crook Boozerama and Gregg's. I'm considering a Milford Haven at this very moment. (Its a large port...dhuhh...)

Hi Terry Im off to Gran Canaria for a spot of training with Janet
just to get used to the sun we will get in May on the TGO .

We're out in Tenerife doing some training in the mountains (and the bars)!

Lovely weather waiting for you out here Keith!

Norma

It was VERY hilly in Los Gigantes.

The heat was bearable - just.

Most of the training was strenuous - lifting glasses.

Ideal preparation for May.

In line with my training objective of putting on an extra stone I shall be eating and drinking my way around Shropshire and Cheshire at 3mph.

However, given the weather forecast and the fact I will be stood on the back of a narrowboat much of the time I should be able to test out the all day long rainproofness and warmth of my gear.

Just back from a recce of part of my route, and I can confirm
1) it IS bloody cold out there - but with the right gear, expecting this I coped just fine. (Thank you to MLD, Outdoor Warehouse and PHD for new kit for TGOC2013)
2) the hills are fantastic (as always)
3) seeing the full moon rise over the brow of the hill where I was camped in the snow was a magnificent experience
3) I can't wait for May and the chance to do my whole route!

In addition can confirm that Megabus Manchester to Glasgow and vv. and Scottish City Link Glasgow to Shiel Bridge / Drumnadrchit to Glasgow buses are excellent, although you do get a numb bum sitting down for so long.

Glad to be back with family in time for Easter itself, but sad to be home too....