​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memory-Map trade in offer

Anyone having an old WORKING GPS wishing to trade it in for a new one with O.S. mapping on it may be interested in the latest Memory-Map offer. Their GPS devices come with pre-loaded 2013 O.S. 1:50,000 Landranger GB mapping together with a DVD with same mapping for up to 4 other devices including PC, iPhone, iPad or Android smartphone.

Their Model GPS 2800 is £129 and Model 3500 is £219 with the £50.00 deduction for the trade in.

Obviously check out the reviews of these devices, and make an informed decision, ensuring it fits your requirements. They had a similar offer last year when I purchased the GPS 2800; it fitted my requirements and I cannot fault it.

Go to: www.memory-map.co.uk and follow the instructions.

Re: Memory-Map trade in offer

I've never used the memory map units,but I must admit I discounted them immediately as soon as I found that they had non-changeable rechargeable batteries.

I agree with Rod - you must have devices with removable batteries for anything more than a day walk. I've got a dedicated GPS, but this year I'll be using a Samsung Galaxy III - weight with two spare batteries is 200gm, which is the same as my Garmin ETrex with spare batteries.

The majority of smartphones - like iPhones 4 and 5, Sony Experias S, T and Z, are solid body phones, which means the battery can't be swapped out or changed. In my opinion this makes them completely unsuitable for any extended trip.

My mapping software provider charged me £6.99 for the Android app, and because their storage is cloud-based I was very easily able to sync and download all my current mapping (UK North 1:50K, the majority of the Challenge area at 1:25K and the whole of the French Pyrenees at 1:25K) to both the smartphone and a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This works a treat - you've got an excellent GPS, all data is held on the phone's SD card and no need for a data or Wi-Fi connection.

The HTC Desire S is another good smartphone with replaceable batteries.

And this morning I found this amazing Android app that turns your smart-phone into a full-on GPS unit. For free.

Click here for details