​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ice axe and crampons this year?

I would like to put in a plea on behalf of microspikes. They are ideal for conditions such as icy paths, wind scoured hillsides or patches of highly compacted snow. When there is soft snow lying, you do get balling up: probably better to stick to kicking steps, if you can, or crampons with proper anti-balling plates. I think it was the conditions you came across, Jean, not your boots.

When there is snow on the hills, I usually take a combination of microspikes and “proper” crampons. This year, I have been trying out some Kahtoola KTS crampons (with the snow release skins) as suggested by AussieMike. I have worn them with my “three season” boots and have been very impressed so far. I would recommend the steel variety rather than aluminium if you are wearing them in Scotland.

I won’t be taking them on the Challenge, though. Strictly low level for me!

I did just that, Emma: kicked steps all the way up the upper part of fairly steep west side of Sgurr Eilde Mor from the lochan. The snow was pretty hard - indeed I was glad, part of the way, to "borrow" the steps someone else had kicked before me!

That's why, when I reached the summit ridge, I reckoned I'd best put on the microspikes for the descent.....and in that day's conditions they proved useless. I took a different route down.

I'll keep them for exactly what you describe, icy paths nearer home. I won't cart them up snow-capped sunny hills again.....

I've never tried them in deep snow - I've got snowshoes for that - but on hard, icy paths they're absolute magic - I wouldn't be without them!

Come to think of it, I didn't expect to be in snow, deep or otherwise - I'd asked a local on the 'phone and been told the Mamores were now bare. Just shows how much you can't see from the road: all tops were heavily covered.

I'll be packing a pair of (lightweight) Trail Crampons and my boss' ice axe. I'll also be keeping a close eye on my FWAs!