​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: local sourcing: Gas

Colin, in answer to your health 'n' safety concerns, have you seen those tiny, weigh-nothing, fold-out legs that Bob sells (backpackinglight.com) to stabilise just such a system? Don't know how I ever managed before those...

My argument with myself against the tiny canisters (for more than a weekend)is that you're then carrying the weight of two canisters, albeit marginally lighter ones, for 200g of gas, as opposed to a single canister for 250g of gas. Seems a bit of a no-brainer, especially since it also costs more.

A tiny one picked up near the east as reserve is fine, because by then you can probably find a bin for the empty when it happens, and your pack is lighter as you've eaten it down, and anyway you're much fitter for load-carrying by then!

Ooooh, it's getting closer.....

I don't know if Jean is referring to a plastic stand. If so a word of warning. Mine was very stiff to open and one of the legs began to develop stress fractures with less than 2 weeks use.
I have just ordered one of these ( http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/msr_universal_canister_stand.html ) but as I am still waiting for it I don't know how good it will be; but most things MSR I already have are pretty good.
As to gas usage, I will use between 2 & 3 250 canisters on the way across, but then I do usually stop 3 times during the day for tea breaks plus breakfast & dinner. I carry a 250 plus a 100 as reserve. I have never understood how anyone can walk all day without a hot cup of tea and a digestive biscuit!

Mr. Grumpy
I don't know if Jean is referring to a plastic stand. If so a word of warning. Mine was very stiff to open and one of the legs began to develop stress fractures with less than 2 weeks use.
I have just ordered one of these ( http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/msr_universal_canister_stand.html ) but as I am still waiting for it I don't know how good it will be; but most things MSR I already have are pretty good.
As to gas usage, I will use between 2 & 3 250 canisters on the way across, but then I do usually stop 3 times during the day for tea breaks plus breakfast & dinner. I carry a 250 plus a 100 as reserve. I have never understood how anyone can walk all day without a hot cup of tea and a digestive biscuit!

I had the Primus (black plastic) stand for my stove - mine was stiff and broke too. I got the Jetboil one as a replacement and it's much more robust, for only a few grammes more weight.

Can't recall what mine was called but not Primus or Jetboil - although I've used it happily with jetboil stove (that's why I bought the stand: Jetboil much taller than my old Pocket Rocket but much more economical on gas). Check out Bob's website - I'm sure he'll still have it.

Mine will be coming on the Challenge again this year......I suppose by Sod's Law it will now probably crack....!!

I've used the Jetboil canister holder on a couple of long trips and it's holding up fine, and a boon in terms of improved stability.

Jaya John

Jetboil stove, 250grm cylinder lasts
a comfortable 10 14days with a cosi.
for 4 to 6 brews each day plus supper.
Breakfast is muesli and tea. Cheers.
I don't go for 100grm cans Weight for
gas is not good. Cheers.

last a year i started with a 100g ( and a gnat stove + evernew 550 pot used both as a pot and as a mug )

i bought a new 100g canister in Braemar but it was only for safety and turned to not being needed

but i had 3 evenings meals and 2 breakfast without boiling water
and i dont cook , just tea , cafe , soup, dehydrated meals
no porridge at all !!!

if you want to be sure easiest way, ( will spend a canister )
take a new one,
weight it,
burn it to ( if a 100g )-25g /-50g /-75g / empty on your scale.
each time put it to float in water and draw a line
you can reproduce this on a new canister and have an easy way to check precisely whats left in during the challenge.
( unless its way under 0°C and you dont burn the gaz melange evenly...)