​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pacer poles/Leki

I will remember that Sloman.
And when the time is right there will be PAYBACK! Just sayin.
Mind you it is true.
Had to clean them off with surgical spirit.

Just checked and it doesn't work.

Leki ultralight centre sections are 14mm,
Pacer Poles centre sections are 16mm.

I much prefer the ultralights.

Thanks Roger; another great idea bites the dust!

I wonder if the good folk at PacerPole would be prepared (or able) to fit PacerPole handles to other makes of pole.....I feel an email coming on.

JJ

I would imagine that Pacer Poles would be reluctant to use narrower tubing for their upper pole sections because of the potential non-axial nature of the forces applied to the pole by the user leaning on the handles, when going down hill, say.

The configuration of the handle allows a bending force to be applied to the top section, that you wouldn't normally see from a conventional pole's hand grip.

I also think that the company is likely to make more margin selling complete poles rather than just handles and, possibly more importantly, would want to ensure that their product's design principles and reputation are not devalued by the use of possibly inferior pole sections.

Still - it's worth asking.

I agree - I had my Black Diamond poles in mind for possible modification, they are very strong.

I've just measure the pole O.D.s at the handle ends with a micrometer, Pacerpoles are 0.721", Black Diamond are 0.631". That's a big difference - perhaps too much.

I'll contact PP later today, I'm just off out for a run.

JJ

JJ; that seems like the 16mm vs 14mm Roger was writing about in the above post.

Hi Peter,
Roger's comment referred to the middle sections - relating to fitting the bottom sections of his pole to the top section of a PacerPole, my measurements referred to the top sections - relating to having PacerPole handles fitted to Black Diamond poles.
Either way it looks like a no-no!
JJ

are we talking alloys or carbons, as the later are slimmer

I sold my alloys for carbons as they were too heavy, also like Fizans and BD's.....but dont like Leki's new tops or new bulky locking system

Not so much a Pacer Leki .compatibility query, but one about the strength of carbon fibre pacer poles.
The alloy ones seem quite heavy. The carbon ones are tempting on weight grounds, but are they robust enough to take knocks and significant weights being applied to them, especially downhill?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Nigel