​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 999 Text Service to Assist Hill Walkers

Absolutely correct Robin, I think the 112 number has been launched to take the pressure off 999.

From those in the know, from the emergency services there is agreement between all network providers that transmissions on the emergency number will be accepted by all providers regardless of your what your own network provider is.

So that is all good!

112 is the standardised EU emergency number and recognised in many other countries like the US and runs alongside country specific emergency numbers like 999 and 911

Mobile Phone Location

Hi
On the subject of emergencies using a mobile phone.
I attended a first aid course recently given by Phil Glennie who also works with the Braemar mountain rescue and he told us the following.
If you declare an emergency with your mobile phone don't be tempted to switch it off to save power. With only one mast picking up your signal they can establish your direction and distance thereby locating your position. I think this takes a little time and requires someone to request it but it means that even if you don't know where you are, they can find you. Reasuring to know.

Colin

Re: Mobile Phone Location

Hope this works- I found this very informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU&feature=share

Thanks Alan, that is very useful intel .
Hope to see you on the crossing.
Best wishes
Nigel