​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: East Coast Trains Cheap(ish) Fares

I doubt it in this case, Gordon, as it's a Bank Holiday weekend. That's why the deals are not so good.

I'm only travelling to and from Dunbar - will I get specially reduced fares for being an Old Fart, I wonder....?

alan.sloman
East Coast Trains are now accepting bookings for Advanced Fares home from Montrose.

Warning: It's not as cheap as last year if you are travelling home on the Friday (24th May). If you are travelling on Thursday 23rd, the fares are similar to last year's.

I've struck lucky this year, as my Standard Class ticket is £8 cheaper than last year - so I have decided to pay a little extra (£6 more than last year) and go First Class.

I don't mind travelling in cattle class up to the West Coast, but I find the return to "civilisation" a little hard on the nerves - so a comfy seat and a "free" cuppa may help me ease back in to society!

Judith
I don't mind travelling in cattle class up to the West Coast

So you're shouting 'boooo' all the way to the West Coast ?

See you in Montrose !

Another good reason for booking/travelling through East Coast (which is owned by you and me!) is that their compensation scheme for delayed journeys - Delay Repay - is entirely non-judgemental, with a really fast response.

I had to go to London February 14 (don't even ask . . . ) and my return train that evening was delayed on account of some class of an "incident" outside Doncaster. We rocked into BearTown-upon-Tweed 32 minutes late. I put in my claim and five daze layer was sent vouchers for £24.90. Which I can use on any Train Operating Company, valid for 12 months.

Challenge rail travel sorted at no cost, heh heh!

Moral - delayed trains can be your friend! Other news - it's still Brass Monkeys up here with heavy snow cover on The Cheviots. But the days are growing longer, and cannae wait till May!