​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It's very sad but...

First timers have a decent probability of getting in as well; Something like a hundred get pulled from the hat in the draw for places.

The wily old hand will pick an unsuspecting friend who had never remotely entertained the ridiculous idea of hobbling across Scotland in the pouring rain carrying half a house on his back, and embolden him with tales of derring-do and warm evenings supping peaty malts, gazing up at the moon set fair in the heavens.

The old hand should be applauded for introducing another victim fellow walker to this wonderful event. After time, some of these victims virgin Challengers mature to become leg ends themselves, adept in the dark arts of selection and eBay.

Be very afraid

I've just released the plague rats.

alan.sloman
First timers have a decent probability of getting in as well; Something like a hundred get pulled from the hat in the draw for places.

The wily old hand will pick an unsuspecting friend who had never remotely entertained the ridiculous idea of hobbling across Scotland in the pouring rain carrying half a house on his back, and embolden him with tales of derring-do and warm evenings supping peaty malts, gazing up at the moon set fair in the heavens.

The old hand should be applauded for introducing another victim fellow walker to this wonderful event. After time, some of these victims virgin Challengers mature to become leg ends themselves, adept in the dark arts of selection and eBay.

All true Alan but most of the time you just break them in the first week.

Ian C.

Ian C.
All true Alan but most of the time you just break them in the first week. Ian C.

I have to admit to a little bit of bad luck with some of my first time compatriots... I've brought eleven along over the years, but I only broke four of them, and one of them made it as far as Tarfside before he wimped out with a broken ankle.

That's over 30% though.
I am glad I got a few under my belt before I bumped into you.
I have to say, we broke Dave twice.

It was those sandpaper underpants

For the purposes of clarity it should be stressed that the incidence of first-timers getting places in the draw is purely down to the luck of the draw – no favouritism, it's just statistical likelihood.

In fact, if you look at the those who are on the main list and those who are on the standby list and compare both to my usual drinking buddies, the integrity of the draw is perfectly transparent.

Which is my way of apologising to all those friends who didn't get on this year!

I think we can see what happens to any buddy of The Dawg who is a bit slow to get his round in. Worth bearing in mind in the Park bar.