​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stronelairg, Monadh Liath

It worries me too, that because something dreadful is in a remote place it won't bother or offend anyone. That's the only issue they'll be looking at.

Me too. Louise and Laura make pragmatic points.

It's only within the last 150 years that there's been any understanding of wild land as a part of our heritage. And even this got off to a bad start, with the Victorians' romance of The Awful Sublime - Robert MacFarlane has much to say on this.

The vast majority within the British Isles live within urban environments. And, frankly, they simply do not care. And they are the voters. I would imagine that certain councillors, dragged against their will up the access scar that leads from Glen Doll into the interior, will simply shudder and wish to be back home as soon as possible.

We must all support the case against this monstrosity, by direct action if necessary. The time for politeness is long past.

Time for the masses to arise, and say enough.

Laura
My thoughts are not so optimistic - an area of wild land is often seen as having 'nothing there' and so the visit could well turn out to be in favour of siting the wind turbines in this 'empty' place!

Living in Australia, I know exactly what you're talking about Laura. :)

I think they called this whole place 'Terra Nullius' - vacant land that nobody owned. Apparently the local Aborigines who have lived here for thousands of years were but a figment of their imaginations.

Hopefully you lot can rub their noses in the dirt (peat) so they get a feel for what's actually there and we can move society forward from the 1800's.

Someone should volunteer Chris Townsend to give them a proper tour of the area so at least they will understand what they are going to wreck..

Mike

Re: Stronelairg, Monadh Liath: Highland Council approves wind farm

Today, the Highland Council planning sub committee approved the building of Stronelairg Windfarm, slap bang in the centre of the Monadh Liath.

By eleven votes to three.

It will now go to the Scottish Government for final sign-off.

See "Re: Those not-so-green wind farms"

Is this the time to release "The Cameron Mac"

If he has the ear of Wee Alex then this is the time for him to bite.

Or is this a political plot of the said Wee Alex to become popular and reject the march of the Wind Brigade thereby becoming an electable leader of an independant Scotia.

Hi Sandy
:-)

I would suggest that to get your way with Wee 'Eck it's not his ears you should be biting...

Politicians only react when you have them by the balls.

It's always amazed me that there isn't more sabotage on the construction sites of this kind of installation.

Another sad day for the Monadhliath and Scotland's Wild Land.
But not unexpected considering the powers that be.

From a quick reading of this http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/the-wind-compromise/008665/ I guess that even Cameron is admitting the tide is running against us. Maybe some one should do a poll asking those in favour of wind farms if they would accept one placed within 100 meters of their house, I wonder what the acceptance figures would be then?