​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Montreathmont Moor

Hi,

If it is any help I unexpectedly found a really nice wildcamp at 594548. Where the stream crosses the track there is (or was in 2010) a long, flat grassy area running into the trees beside the stream. The stream could hardly be described as fast flowing, but there was water in it although I had collected some earlier in preparation for not being able to pitch the tent near water.

I have to say that getting there from the west, through Montreathmont Forest, was a bit of a nightmare.

Colin.

Re: Montreathmont Moor

Hi Richard,

For training, at the moment I'm getting away to the hills periodically with the University's walking club, but I need to do a bit more.

Last year I did a quick trip to the Rhinogs a week before that Challenge for some just-in-time reinforcement and that seemed to help. So this year Barney and I have planned to go back to the Rhinogs for 4-ish days a couple of weeks ahead.

I know that you can also get some longer days with up to 1000m ascent in the Cotswolds or the Malverns. I'll probably head to the Malverns by train at some point too.

Cheers,
Jaya John