​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any one got a route?

Fine be me John.
I have routes ready before I apply.
Would the Fee and a bottle of Ardbeg be ok

Alternatively send the routes in with the applications. When the draw is made the routes that have not been done correctly get returned and then eventually go on to the standby list. Anyone who does not get a place has a route ready for the following year. Route sheets are easily down loaded and anyone without access to a computer can get a route sheet by sending a SAE to the co-ordinator (enclosing the down payment of the requisite 2 bacon buttes).

Fine idea - I'm sure it would improve the standard of the routes too!

JJ

JJ,
G'day,

don't see you on the list this year-hope you are still not using that old war wound excuse again?

cj

Aye Grumps. That sounds like common sense BUT, and that's a BIG BUT : that could mean that every Vetter has to check 50 routes in a very short time.
After two years the Challenge could be Vetterless.

No, no Theo. The best part of my cunning plan is that JM goes through the sheets with a fine tooth comb and Vetters don't get involved until much later! Was that a scream I heard from the shed? As every vetter already checks about 25 routes between November and February, and by the time they reached us we would be sure they were complete, I'm sure we could manage.

Hmm, send routes in with applications?
Excellent idea, now how many routes would be "as specified" ?
"Eh ? Do you mean Oban isn't in torridon?"

Grumpie's idea is IMHO fine for regular challengers but unfair on first timers especially. I know its a h----- a long time ago Pete and you are certainly not lacking in self confidence but I'm willing to bet you submitted your first route sheet with some trepidation, I know I did. Also there was a lot more leeway with FWA's back then than challengers are allowed now.
Route rejected more than twice and your off list of starters and onto bottom of standby list may help tighten up some sloppy route sheet presenetations.
Ian

Flexibility is the name of the game and the Challenge organisers and vetter always try to help those having problems, especially overseas and first time Challengers. However Challengers have from November until the end of January (at least) to submit a route. If they cannot get a route sorted and correctly presented within 120 days I'll ask are they really taking the event seriously? Even using the most old fashioned methods of paper maps and bits of string it should be possible to get a route sorted in 8 hours and then a few more to get it written up and sent off. Many from the standby list are waiting patiently for a place, if they can have routes ready to send in if a place becomes vacant why can't those others do the same?
PS There is only one of me!

Mr. Grumpy
Even using the most old fashioned methods of paper maps and bits of string it should be possible to get a route sorted in 8 hours and then a few more to get it written up and sent off.

I think this is being slightly optimistic, Peter!

I remember preparing my first route (before the internet and message board was around) and taking over an entire floor of Cambridge Library with the Librarian first thing in the morning - covering it in maps of the entire Challenge area - and still not having enough room.

The Librarian came up with a sensible suggestion: Pick a start and end point and then dump the maps to the north and south of the line between them. He then let me take the reference maps home for the day. I worked out a nice line and decided that they were the maps I needed and so returned the library's maps and bought my own set - which cost a small fortune.

Having worked out a line, I then had to chop it up into day sections, making sure there wasn't too long a section between places to buy more food and that each day was possible in terms of terrain walked, height gained and distance travelled and doing a bit of Naismith to check. This resulted in a re-think as I realised that some sections were just too long to be done sensibly in a day. All this was done by hand - contour counting and marking off kms in pencil on the maps.

Finding out about where I could buy food was also quite time consuming (remember, no internet!) but we were lucky in that Karin and Eric Pow had published a Challenger friendly accommodation list, so that made organising a couple of B&B's easier, but still time consuming, as, not being an habitué of Scotland at the time, I had to find out where all these places were! This is still true for modern-day Challengers.

This took me absolutely ages! I seem to recall only just getting my route in on time to Uncle Roger, and even then having to ring him the night before I sent it off to ask about a pretty important bridge.

Okay, these days, knowing the Challenge area pretty well, and with the aid of digital mapping, it is possible to bang out a route quite quickly - but I still enjoy researching areas where I am thinking of exploring and picking and changing the route if I find somewhere, say, in a book, that tickles my interest.

I would suggest that the planning of the walk is almost as enjoyable as doing the walk itself; setting yourself a Challenge that will be challenging, interesting and fun should be rolled around the mouth like a fine wine, not gulped down in a vulgar eight hours!

First-timers worried about what's expected in a route sheet need only Google "TGO Challenge Route Sheet" these days for quite a few fairly good example to come tumbling out of their screens.

It should be borne in mind that on the ten occasions that the current Co-ordinator took part in and completed a crossing, his own route was on time perhaps on only half of those occasions. Only with maturity has it dawned upon him the hassle he caused the then-Co-ordinator and the vetting team. He's making amends and trying to ensure more folks get it right.

It should also be borne in mind that if the demands of the FWA have been tightened, it's because the vetters are rightly growing more and more concerned for Challengers' safety. As MicknGayle's recent statistic-derived charts recently illustrated, Challengers aren't (on average) getting any younger; additionally, word is that some others with a good number of crossings to their name are getting complacent (ie, sloppy) in their route planning.

Half of the ten? I thought it was worse than that!

Nowt worse than a converted smoker…

And as has been said above, we're more than happy to help those who're genuinely struggling with route planning, especially our overseas friends (we're talking routes, not exchange rates, aye?).

We're doing pretty well at the mo' – a good number of routes have flooded in the the last few days and when I get back on top of the workload the vetters will all be busy again; many thanks to those who responded.

There's still a fortnight (two weeks) for those still to submit; if you need advice or help drop me a line or, better, call (but please not when the kids are either about to go to school/nursery 8.30am-9.30am or are off to bed 7-7.30ish) and we will give whatever help we can.

We even have a few examples of good routes we're happy to share, though we love it when folks demonstrate their own planning abilities!

My ............. John, you've changed a bit since I last saw you. For the better, of course.

OK, accepting that some of the routes may not be up to the standard required by the TGO vetters.

Challengers should not be put in a state of trepidation when submitting their route. When I entered my route last year I had no example of how the route sheet should look. I was OK as it passed with no problems.

Some challengers may have never completed a route sheet in their lives.

OK, I will never be a vetter and it must be disappointing to see poor standards coming in on a regular basis. At present the vetters I would assume are educating the sloppy and illiterate and should be highly commended in doing so.

Vetters, don't give up, you are doing a great job.

For the challengers. It should be exciting and fun from the beginning to the end, the only scary bit should be the start on the Friday morning..

'Some of the routes may not be up to the standard required by TGO vetters'. Isn't this the point/problem? As a first-timer,I didn't know what that standard was. As I've done several multi-day trips in Scotland, I made assumptions about what was required for the route sheet (and, yes, I did read the notes, carefully) because I didn't/couldn't know exactly what was required. I expected to get them back, and wasn't disappointed! It was all done very nicely and patiently and my (easily done) resubmission went through, end of problem. Another year, if I was drawn, I'd be pretty annoyed with myself if my submission didn't go straight through, 'cos I now know exactly what is required.

There is only one Challenge each year.So we have 12 months
to prepare a route or routes.Also, the sooner you get your
route submitted, the less the panic if it needs "retuning"
to vetter's recommendation and then resubmitted.
A "hastily prepared route will usually throw it's problems
at you when you are out on the hill. Also an ill prepared
route is an ill prepared Challenger in my opinion.
Cheers.

The easiest part of the route planning is from Portland Oregon to Glasgow Scotland...no need for maps, strings or vetters...you just keep throwing money at it...the more money you throw, the "better" the route, if you know what I mean...

Louise,

Absolutely brilliant, what a great idea- throw lashings and lashing of money at the Coordinator and vetters, sit back and see what MIGHT happ.......!!!!, simply brilliant.

a.vetta

I sense a business opportunity here.

I now realise that my hoard of old routes has value. I wonder what price the busy challenger would pay for a proven and pre-vetted route?

Phil is not a trustworthy supplier. Forget horsemeat - he gave me a dessert once and freely admitted that it was 100% moose!

Lord only knows what he puts into his routes.

sorry Phil but I got there first.

Grumpy Tours

Challenge 2014

Route planning service.

Option 1) Bronze Service, Standard Route. You will receive a plan of a route tailored to your abilities this will give daily distance, height gain and time and show your route and overnight halt points. $1995

Option 2) Silver Service, Special Route. All of the above plus a PDA showing your route and all maps pre-loaded. The PDA will also include MP3 recordings of suitable ethnic music to accompany you on your trek. Includes pre-booking of B&B or hostels to your choice and food and equipment drops to specified locations. $3995

Option 3) Gold Service, Deluxe Route. All of option 2 plus one of our perambulatory technicians who will walk the route for you and each evening down load a pod cast, with 5 complimentary photographs taken during the day (additional photographs available for only $9.95 per picture) so that you can live the experience from the comfort of you armchair. At the end of the trek you will a certificate of accomplishment and a tee shirt with printed logo “Scotland Coast to Coast – I did it my way!” $9995

Please don't all rush at once.

I'm horrified.

smiff,

Mr Grumpy

Very interesting, Very Interesting !

I'll take 2 of Option 1, 3 of Option 2 and finally 4 of Option 3.

I think that totals $55,955.

You didn't specify the currency so I assume you are a nice chap and will accept my local currency.

In which case I will put a 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollar note in the post today.

Oh and since you are such a lovely person, keep the change.

Sorry but there is a limit of four in one group, we must abide by the Challenge rules!
$,$ and more $ (US of course)

I'll take four – got change for a Zog?

If anyone needs US Dollars to purchase their route package, I'll give a Very Special deal to TGOers....to make it really easy for all involved (because change is so heavy to carry), let's say 1 pound for 1 Dollar..is it against Challenge Rules to take orders on this message board?

Hey Louise, the way things are going over here that may be a good exchange rate by May 14!

Is it me or is there a degree of Ryanairesqueness creeping in here. Next thing Grumps will be trying to charge us all £20 for taking luggage and £1 for going to the toilet. You might also find your sign out point at Torridon is actually in a field 50 miles away.

Ian C.