​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Montreathmont Moor

If your camping at montreathmont beware the beast !!

Many big cat sitings around there of late.

Thanks all,

We are heading for Lunan to 'dip our toes' so will probably end up spending the night in Montreathmont - Big Cats allowing.

R

We'll also be camping somewhere in Montreathmont Forest, night of the 23rd, also en-route for Lunan Bay. We looked at Foresterseat campsite but that made the last day too long, considering we're using all 15 days and HQ closes at 5pm.

From satellite imagery it looks like finding a pitch shouldn't be too hard, Beast of Forfar and Forestry chemicals permitting

When are you passing through?

Thanks for the heads-up about the bargain berths, by the way. I had been haunting their site the night before but of course they weren't released yet.

Jaya John

Hi Jaya or is that Jaya John?

We will probably be going that way the same sort of time. We will probably be leaving on the morning of the 23rd. We either have to do some huge amount or stop around there. Wheres your kick off?

Also I see you are in Oxford? I'm in Thame - fellow Oxfordians.

Cheers

Hi Dickie (or Richard?)

It's Jaya John, though Jaya's fine too. Yes, I'm in Oxford. Good to hear of fellow Challengers nearby.

We're starting from Oban this time and will be at the Prosen Hostel night of the 22nd. How about you?

Cheers,
Jaya John

Hi JJ ,

Starting from Strathcarron. Hows the training going? We find it a bit flat around here, we have to go up and down the Chilterns to get anything like the stuff in Scotland......

Cheers

Hi,

If it is any help I unexpectedly found a really nice wildcamp at 594548. Where the stream crosses the track there is (or was in 2010) a long, flat grassy area running into the trees beside the stream. The stream could hardly be described as fast flowing, but there was water in it although I had collected some earlier in preparation for not being able to pitch the tent near water.

I have to say that getting there from the west, through Montreathmont Forest, was a bit of a nightmare.

Colin.

Hi Richard,

For training, at the moment I'm getting away to the hills periodically with the University's walking club, but I need to do a bit more.

Last year I did a quick trip to the Rhinogs a week before that Challenge for some just-in-time reinforcement and that seemed to help. So this year Barney and I have planned to go back to the Rhinogs for 4-ish days a couple of weeks ahead.

I know that you can also get some longer days with up to 1000m ascent in the Cotswolds or the Malverns. I'll probably head to the Malverns by train at some point too.

Cheers,
Jaya John