​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Most Valuable Piece of Gear

Yes I’m with Mr H on this one, I used to wear Scarpa Nepals and spend the day concentrating so much of the day on keeping water out of my boots that I wouldn’t be taking in the scenery as I went, that meant it became a head down trudge. Now I wear Salomon Cosmic 2 boots and have the mind-set that I am going to get my feet wet. I do confess to having a pair of Crocs for around the tent.

I wore boots for my first 9 Challenges without any problems then I gave shoes a go for the past 2 years, as so many people were raving about them. Shoes keep on splitting on me. I've now had 4 pairs, various brands and models, and they all split down the side after a couple of weeks of wear, except for a pair of rocklike 315's which the wind whistles through freezing my tootsies. This year I'm going back to lightweight boots.

I think the problem with any of these this is better than that posts is that we are all different and gear that is great for one person is useless for someone else. I'm sure that shoes are the best thing for Humphrey but they have given me nothing but discomfort.

As for the original post I'd far rather have a tent, sleeping bag, rucksack, sleeping mat, maps, compass, stove, food, waterproofs, gloves, hat, boots, walking poles or a bottle of Laphroaig. While I might take Crocs on the Challenge I could happily live without them.

Ian C.

Boots/trainers/shoes always a topic of division in the challenge family. As has been said by others it really is a matter of personal choice,and I would add the expected terrain and conditions. What suits one does not suit another. As for me,cold wet feet are something to be avoided at all costs so wading through icy burns or chomping across sodden moorland in trainer/trail shoes then waiting for them to dry just doesn't cut it. Lightweight brasher supalites good gaitors and occasional river waders and I am a happy warm bunny. Each to their own of course and while I appreciate the opposite view to mine the thought of taking on the conditions of the first week experienced in last years challenge in trail shoes/trainers leaves me cold ( for me literally ).

Russ

Dry Toilet paper. Especially if you judge by comfort and wellbeing relative to financial cost.

Hmmmm feet... phwoar......

hhrrmph Pieman,
You've lost the plot. Have those meat pies been analysed?

Andy,
You will get enough of peat without having to lug another half bottle of peat mixed with half decent whisky. The peak gets between your teeth.
Try some of the Speyside malts.
Slàinte mhath!

I just finished a Speyside Malt.
But I will investigate further.
I need to do research before I go

Boots, soft ,well water proofed leather boots, unlined.
Water will not penetrate the leather. Feet/socks do
get wet, always will( unless you wear wellies) but will dry
fast. If you're walking tracks that's different only
the puddles to keep clear of. Heather, high vegetation,
you will be wet.So choose what will dry most quickly.
Linings will hold the water for ever. Cheers