​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rucksack - light but supportive?

Mr Crawford, Sir (Esteemed Vetter, genuflect, genuflect, I am not worthy etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.)

So it's rucksacks at dawn, eh? I'll have to be careful who I nominate as my second. It can't be Mad'n'Bad Andy as he's never ready at dawn.

Lord Elpus is also a bit on the tardy side of punctuality as well... but his rucksack is always perfectly packed; There's no silly dangly bits hanging all over the shop like on Andy's pack. Very dapper, is Lord Elpus.

I suppose I would have to choose Roger Boston, as he packs the same pack as me. And he has those bionic knees which makes packing in a confined tent so much easier. He just flicks a switch and the powerful hydraulics launch him effortlessly to standing straight and tall while I'm still rolling around onto my belly before slowly getting to my knees and eventually an erect position.

I am sorry that you are royally p*ssed off with Messrs Golite. They should be ashamed of themselves. Going about p*ssing off TGO Vetters really isn't British!

Oh. Hang on.

Looking forward to sharing a few drams at Montrose, Colin. I think the last time we did that was with Waldo in the tin roofed back room at Culra in 1997.

Alan,

Forget the faux grovelling which I'm absorbing with the necessary cartload of salt. I will be more than happy though to accept a large Lagavulin in the Park.

Gracious, that overnight at Culra takes me back - 1997, I think it was, both of us young(ish) and callow at the time. Seems a long time ago now.

You chaps are really spoiled when it comes to choice of a lightweight pack. If you are a chapess, well - you are not well catered for. Having the correct back length and also women specific shoulder straps are two aspects I've found crucial. The original W Jam was brilliant and available in various back lengths. Unfortunately shorter backs mean fewer litres so I never could quite squash enough in for the challenge though it has done me proud on shorter trips. I now use a Lightwave W Wildtrek which fits well. I would have preferred the lighter Fastpack but the available back lengths are not short enough. Well, that's my two penn'orth anyway.

Aaaah, the Karrimor Jaguar 65 (or even better the earlier Jaguar E65 if you are old enough to remember it) is/was the pack of choice for the true hill connoisseur. Alas many are sadly over the hill, mine replaced by a Golite Terrano 70 but not a patch on the comfort and functionality of the old Jaguar and already showing signs of wear after only two years. Karrimors "new " Jaguar weighs a ton. My average Challenge pack departure weight =18 kgs.

cj

I still have a Jaguar 65, perhaps the best rucksack I've ever had. It's light enough, packs and carries very well - trouble is, after 20 years, it's now completely worn out.

I'd pay a lot of money for a new one. New stuff just isn't up to the mark.

JJ

John J
I still have a Jaguar 65, perhaps the best rucksack I've ever had. It's light enough, packs and carries very well - trouble is, after 20 years, it's now completely worn out.
JJ

It goes with your knees though John.

Aye, they're completely knackered too!

JJ

JJ. The old Jaguar 65 often appears on eBay - and they seem to sell quite well. In fact I sold Miss W's last year for £50.

Obviously still a popular choice for the discerning backpacker.

Judith, I haven't yet read through all the other responses, but I use a Golite Quest which is a fine sac for up to about 14kg, but I insert a stiffened Karrimor backpad which is easily shaped for your own lordosis, or to create an airgap of sorts, depending on your individual needs. Just an idea!