​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Are PHD Sleeping bags worth the price

Well spotted grumps !

Yes. Absolutely!

A RAB Infinity 500 has more down, better baffling design to max out the loft and warmth, and Vs a Mimim 400 long with a zip will be around the same weight/size and cost, but the RAB is better in design and performance (like a 100g more down for the same weight more or less). So "NO" PHD are not worth the money.

Simples - buy a PHD sleeping bag without a zip.

FWIW I have as my year round mix-and-match sleeping set up:

PHD Minim 300 + PHD Ultra down pullover (or PHD Ultra vest - depending on how cold I expect it to get) + PHD down trousers + PHD down socks + Black Rock down hat (although I also have a PHD down hat which I bought in their latest sale. )

Guess who makes my Alpamayo smock?

Costs a lot - but it is top class gear that I have bought over time and which will last and last.

So, my answer to the question: YES - but, not with a zip.

I've had a minim 400 with zip for many years (i think it cost about £140 so that says something about how long). It's a great piece of kit.

I would say unless you count saving £26 and a bit of weight above comfort go for the zip as it is quite a warm bag and you may overheat. the zip opens both ways so you can open the bottom half for ventilation or even stick a leg out.

Obviously can't comment first hand on the relative value vs Rab. On paper the Rab should be a bit warmer and heavier and £50 more than the minim (with zip) unless you can get it in a sale or discount.

cheers

John

OK all. Thanks all for the replies, however it was meant to be a bit of lighthearted banter given the obvious(I hope) mistake made by PHD listing the zip as costing £260K - I should have known that all you gear heads out there would see it as a Challenge(ahem). It was not meant to be a stab at PHD either.

Personally I have a couple of bits of PHD gear and I like it. I also like their service and customisation. It may or may not be better than other bits out there. Use whatever floats your boat.

No doubt the merits and demerits of various equipment may be discussed further over various beverages in May. I look forward to dicsussing further if I can get my route in before the end of Feb