​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Loch Ness Crossing

You never know what can go wrong, there is no need to book a ferry crossing until you are sure when you will be crossing; 24 hours notice is plenty.

Now now, dear Grumpy, no need to dampen such enthusiasm, surely??

Hi Jean, and a Happy New Year to you too!
Strangely enough on this occasion I wasn't being Grumpy. It's very easy to arrive in Drum hours or even a day or two early or late. You then have to change your ferry booking with Gordon, which messes him around, and makes for an extra and unnecessary phone call. If the ferry is full he will make extra crossings until he has shifted all Challengers. We know this from past experience and I can understand why new Challengers want to get everything well organised but in this case it is not really necessary.

You're right, of course, Peter, but as you say it's natural for a newcomer to that particular crossing to fear being stuck on the wrong side of Loch Ness......it's an awfully long way round! I'm sure your reassurance will be music to many anxious ears.

As you'll have gathered from the smileys, I couldn't resist a little New Year tug at your grumpy leg.

And all the best for 2013 to you and Avril too.

As far as I recall, Gordon likes you to phone him the night before to confirm that you are crossing with him. He does a great job getting us all across but only if he knows you're turning up!

I certainly contacted him the day before last year to confirm I would be there, but I had also contacted him in advance to put my name on the list. It must be nice to have an idea at least of how many passengers he may have and when, although Gordon does have to go out of his way during the grim weather to get everyone across. He does a fabulous job!

he does indeed do a fabulous job ! best wishes all.

What would we do without him!
Was there ever a time in Challenge history before Gordon and his boat and what was the alternative?
Doesn't bear thinking about if he decides to retire.....

Well some Challengers have gone across by helicopter and canoe so there are options!

I have a vague recollection of the great Hamish Broon tieing his backpack in a bin liner and using it as a float to dog paddle across Loch Ness at its narrowest point near the outflow. Also useful where the Carnoch runs into Loch Nevis when, not if, gravity defeats the bridge.