​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Monad thingys FWA

Thanks Colin and the responders so far.

I'm happy that if warranted I would just have to do a big detour. I just wondered if anyone knew of a tunnel running below the 500m cutoff for the FWA that I could use

Seriously though, given 'moderate' FW conditions I can see that some of the LRT's are only a few K's apart - as long as linking those is OK then it should be peachey.

To be fair Rosie and I carry so much we find it hard to get above sea level anyway.

What i took from the literature was that a FWA did not need to be specified for the Corrieyairick but just to ca' canny if it really did get wild. Is this correct or do i need to specify a FWA?

"Low level routes (below about 500m) do not usually need an FWA. Please note however that some popular through-routes must have FWAs in place. The Lairig Ghru, Jock’s Road and Mount Keen all climb to around 900m at their summits and are not acceptable as FWAs; routes including these must also provide a FWA. Be aware also that while slightly lower routes such as the Corrieyairack Pass are acceptable as a main route or a FWA, foul weather can still render them impassable: common sense will have to be applied during the event."

I think the above is quite clear although some Challengers when reading it think that any day which rises above 500mt must have a FWA; this is not the case and this is not how I read it. When planning your route think how difficult or dangerous it could be at any height above sea level in heavy rain, high winds or in a blizzard. Then think would I want to be there in those conditions? Then think "do I need a FWA?" Then if you are not sure put one in. The routes that must have a FWA are listed above.