​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crossing the River Ling in bad weather?

Hi Folks,

One route I am contemplating will link the track on the eastern side of Beinn Dronaig (NH059376) to the track near Maol Bhuidhe bothy (NH052360) close to the outlet of Loch Cruoshie. I understand that the terrain here is pretty boggy at the best of times and that the crossing of the River Ling can be problematic during bad weather.

Is there a safe route across the river in bad weather?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Re: Crossing the River Ling in bad weather?

Hi Mark

I've done that particular crossings a couple of times. The first time was a bit of a doddle in fine weather but the second was a tad more interesting, in 2011 in heavy rain with Andy Walker and Lilo.

Now call me a bit of a wimp, but the first step is the tricky one. In high flow there is a bit of a causeway under water, but the river is racing over it and so you aim your plunging foot slightly upstream of it so that it is taken on to the rocks rather than over the top of them.

Mr Walker braved it first and then spent some time up to his nadgers in freezing water trying to cajole us to cross. (That took some time as Lilo and I took *some* persuading)

It's not pleasant but certainly do-able with caution. Probably the safest way over is to emulate Robert Ridgewell - who we saw from the safety of the warm bothy. He took all his kit off and plunged in upstream of the causeway so the river pushed him against it.

The nasty bit is only a few steps as it gets shallow again very quickly.

There is only really this one place to cross when in spate, as the river is considerably deeper either side of the crossing point.

A good one to buddy-up to get across if wet.

Of course, before you get to this crossing you have the wire bridge to cross over the Allt Loch Calavie. I hate the things, so I chose to wade the loch instead.

You can see this beauty by clicking HERE

Good luck!

A QUICK EDIT HAVING SEEN COLIN'S POST BELOW:

We crossed to the east of the outflow of the Allt a Chreachail Mhoir, therefore only needing to cross the outflow of Loch Cruoshie to get to the bothy.

Hi Mark
I crossed the River Ling at the outlet of Loch Cruoshie on last years crossing. It was the Friday so it was raining but nothing terrible, I still spent a while looking for a crossing. Much depends on how happy you are at wading rivers. Close to the bank the river bed was washed out nearly waist deep so the first step into the water is the worst. Once I had decided to cross it wasn't quite as bad as it looked but I could imagine that in bad weather this crossing might not be for the faint of heart.
I didn't see any sign of bridges or stepping stones.

When I did cross the River Ling I came out on the west bank of the burn that runs by the bothy. I did fancy visiting the bothy but the burn ran too fast and rocky for me to cross although I could have done it if I had planned to stay the night. If you planning stopping at the bothy in bad weather you might want to ensure that you plan for that.

The whole area was a bit wet and boggy. I could imagine that the river could rise quite quickly in heavy rain.

Colin

In May 2008 in a heatwave (remember them?) going from Iron Lodge to Bendronaig, we crossed at about NH051362, (ie above the loch)at a spot shown to us by a helpful MBA person who was checking the bothy and knew the area well. In those conditions it was very easy but friends of mine had a much more difficult crossing in the previous winter. Even in dry conditions I didn't fancy the look of the outflow from the loch, but I'm a confirmed coward when it comes to river crossings.

Sorry, Meant "below the loch" of course

Somewhere at the end of this is our crossing.
TGOC2011 DAY 1

Surely you should be facing upstream?