​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jock's Road FWA

Here is A LINK to Alan's post.

Thanks for your messages and for the link to Alan's blog. Andrew W, Peter G, Colin and Humprey also got back to me via email with lots of good advice re alternatives to Jock's Road. Propose to go via Shielin of Mark now so that's that part of the route sorted, many thanks.

Hello all,

I would like to revive this thread as I am currently struggling to find a FWA for Jock's road. My main route plan so far is to follow Jock's Road from Braemar, then drop down into Glen Prosen or Glen Clova and finish in Arbroath.

After searching this forum, the only FWA proposals to Jock's road that I can find is to go via Spittal of Glenmuick and then cross over into Glen Lee and Glen Esk. In my case that would mean a complete re-routing and finishing in a different place, as there is no point in walking all the way down from Glen Esk to Arbroath.

Does anyone happen to know any alternative FWAs that end in Glen Clova? I have been looking at going round to Loch Muick and then crossing over Capel Road or Corrie Chash. It's a bit of a detour but I could probably fit it in. However, both of these cross quite high ground as well, so I am not sure whether they would work as FWAs.

An advice is very much appreciated.

Hi Lukas

I've had to put in a FWA to Jock's Road and the surrounding hills too. Something like Gelder Shiel, Loch Muick and Capel Road should be acceptable ( it was for me). It's unlikely that you will need to use it but it could be a problem if you have accommodation booked in Clova as it takes longer to walk to Clova from Braemar via Loch Muick than it does going by Jock's Road. My way around this is to make my FWA from Braemar to Clova as two days rather than one day going by Jock's Road and finishing a day later if needed.

Most people going the same way will (as is suggested above) decide which way they are going when they are in Braemar and have the forecast for the coming days.

Hi Lukas

I haven't got anything hugely helpful to suggest that doesn't involve extra time and/or ending up in the wrong place, but I'll tell you what I'm planning.

Firstly, visiting Braemar Mountain Sports, which has the MWIS (mountain weather information service) which gives a very good idea what to expect, so I won't head for Loch Callater / Jock's Road at all if it looks bad. My FWA is to spend that night at Gelder Shiel, next night Water of Unich, next night Tarfside. If I can do Jocks Road I'll go Loch Callater to Glen Clova/Loch Brandy, then Tarfside, so essentially I have a 2.5 day FWA.

If I am really unlucky and all seems well at Braemar but after a night at Loch Callater the weather looks bad, I retrace my steps, head for Gelder Shiel and everything else is a day later.

I once went Loch Callater, round S side Carn an t-Sagairt Mor in driving rain and sleet, headed down past Dubh Loch to Glas Allt Shiel. Do-able but very unpleasant and I wouldn't chose to do it again. We were sardines that night in the bothy. It's still pretty high so probably not acceptable as an FWA. The other routes you suggest look too high and exposed.

Does it have to be Arbroath? It seems quite far south given your route.

Good luck and I'll be interested to read what others think.

Vanessa

The track alongside Dubh Loch down to Glas Alt Shiel is a muddy mess at the best of times, which is a shame because the wee beach at the end of the Loch is an absolutely cracking wild camping pitch. I love spending the odd night up there but only when the weather is good and has been for a while. It is strange, the path between the South Eastern end of the Loch and the bothy is excellent but alongside the Loch and higher up it is a mudfest. The Stulan Burn underneath the falls is also very difficult if there is a lot of water about. I wouldn't recommend intentionally using the Carn an t-Sagairt Mor to Glas Alt Shiel route as a FWA, if it is too bad to get over Jock's Road it is going to be more than unpleasant going past Carn an t-Sagairt Mor.