​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TGOC 2012

Hi John,

Thanks for another terrific account - I like your style.

Sorry we will not see you on the new frontier next year.

Chris

Chris, Would you be the Chris Peart in 1990or92 in Ruighaiteachain Bothy
cutting up 4inch dia. logs with a pocket Swiss Army Knife, when the wash
line fell in the fire plus washing. And later the same night ,the back
cooking bench was in total flames with meths. leaking from a bottle,what
a scramble for the door. Bernie Heinz was there but I've forgotten the
others .Your name on here brought back memories of the "Old" days. Cheers.

Mighty account, John. Love the maps. Love it all, actually. Good for you!

Hi Waldo,
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I wasn't at Ruigh Aiteachain in 1990 or 1992.
I was there in 1991 but camped outside, as did most others, it being a fine evening. Also I've never carried a Swiss Army Knife as I prefer an Opinel.
You must have your wires crossed somewhere - it was a long time ago.
I've only stayed in the bothy once, in 1986, Big John was there (see his excellent account on Doodlecat). It was a particularly wet year, some say the wettest, and the bothies were very popular. I counted 28 challengers there that night, much to the bemusement of 4 members of a college old boys climbing club who had gone in for a quiet weekend. They reckoned that the previous night there were 32 challengers present who'd told them that they would be the last coming through. Amazingly I had my best night's sleep of that year's event.
Chris

Thank's for the reply Chris,Wires crossed as you suggest. Cheers.

Finally got to read it - a great account and as Judith said so good to have a personal side to the account. You are more adventurous than me on the Challenge.

Jane Egg

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I like writing up the walk because it brings back to mind the people and the things that happened. It's great to hear from some of the people I met again. (The things that happened are perhaps best forgotten).

Sorry we will not see you on the new frontier next year. .... Chris

Well that's the point really Chris - I need a new frontier. I hope I'm just not lazy and let May pass "un-frontiered", and that's one of the beauties of the Challenge - you're committed way in advance.

John

I get your point John but every challenge is different and for me each year it becomes a new frontier.
Then again May is such a good month to go away, perhaps it's a waste to dedicate it to the challenge. It's your choice.
What ever you do next year I hope you find it fulfilling.
Chris

John, that's a great report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it all, and I love the way I can follow it on the maps at the same time - how do you do that? (I'm not techie enough to even do a multi-day report!) We must have only missed each other by hours along the Gairn!. Kirsten

Thanks Kirsten. I wonder how many near misses there are in a Challenge?

The OS gets all the credit for the maps. As well as giving us the most wonderfully designed and accurate maps they've also made maps for the whole of the UK freely available for anybody who wants to include a map on his/her web page.

You need to register the website and then the OS provides an online facility for producing a web page with a map:

www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/web-services/os-openspace/api/wmb.html

A bit of fiddling enlarges the map to full page and allows the text and photos to be positioned on top.

If anyone wants to just copy and paste one of my pages to build thier own site they're free to do so.

John

Thanks for that John. Last time I tried to register with OS their site wasn't working properly, so I'll give it another go.
Cheers,

Kirsten

All four of my Challenges here.