​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strath Ossian - An Lairig

Thanks Humphrey and Chris who eats outdoorsgrub.

I hadn't planned to cut down to Ben Alder Cottage so I can avoid the dice with a swim in the Loch scramble that you mention. My current plan after Uisge Labhair is to ford (?) the stream somewhere near 461722 and then head approx NE to the path that goes across Bealach Dubh and down to Loch Pattack, where I shall, apparently, be eaten by those garron pony thingies. I have had the bothy at Culra Lodge recommended as a potentially sociable camping spot but that might give me too long a walk the following day when I need to get to Kingussie and a real bed. Still, I shall have to see how it is going after the Uisge Labhair....

Rob,
Probably a bit late to be any help as others have covered this, but are you sure you were on the path when you found it so disgusting. The first time I did this I strayed onto an argocat track which is, indeed, pretty horrible. I am also aware of a couple of challengers, names withheld, who made the same mistake and had a hard time getting back down again. The path on the map is actually quite nice and well defined - there are many worse.

If you are heading for Dalwhinnie it is easier not to cross where shown on the map - carry on until about NN468725 where the water splits (divide and conquer) - this is shown on an Explorer map but not Landranger.

Colin.

Thanks Colin. I have marked that GR on my map!