​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strath Ossian - An Lairig

Oh bottoms!

As a first time challenger I have been planning what I hoped was a straightofrward route across - and had planned to get from Loch Ossian to Dalwhinnie then on to Kingussie via the Uisge Labhair, with a camp at Loch Pattack on the way. Having read the comments re the Uisge Labhair I am now having to rethink. And it all looked so simple on the map!!!

David

Ignore the miseries and take your original route! The walk up the Uisge Labhair is quite splendid:

The only slightly snaggly bit is when you leave the stream to clamber up to the stalkers' track from Ben Alder Lodge, but leaving it until the very last ensures that this only is the matter of a few moments.

It's a wonderful walk. Enjoy!

I'm 100% with Alan: Uisge Labhair is a fine walk. Pick your crossing point from the track coming down from Bealach Dubh carefully, then the path on the NW side will gradually appear. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

David

As Alan said, it's a great walk. You can see the stalkers' path round Ben Alder from the SYHA at Loch Ossian, and you're following a river, so there's no navigation involved, which means you can give all your attention to the bits of bog you do meet, so they're no big deal. I made this walk, my first multi-dayer for over 40 years, in the wet September of 2010 - I loved it. My only reservation on this route is the the long slog up the loch to Dalwhinnie which is not very exciting if it's raining.
Good luck.
Chris.

David,

As the others have said, just go for it- although occasionally a bit rough, it really is a fine route up to the Bealach. On the top look out to your left at roughly NN478731 for the remains of the WW2 Wellington wreck and at Loch Pattack do be mindful of the antics of the estate white garrons (if in residence) at the stable at NN548787 which had a reputation for chompimg car mirrors when car were allowed to be driven there. No doubt an appetising, scrummy Akto would be deemed a delicious alternative!!

cj

Thanks Alan, Chris and Colin. I must stop noticing every bit of comment that might relate to my route and other plans. From now on I shall try to be as chilled as a polar bear sitting on a very cold iceberg drinking cold cans of beer.

Having said that I had wondered about the wisdom of the plod along Loch Ericht from Ben Alder Lodge to Dalwhinnie. I assumed this was a Landrover track but on Google Earth it looks metalled, which would not be great. One of my earlier plans missed this whole area out altogether with me going NE from Loch Arkaig to Fort Augustus then taking the Corrieyairack pass to Garva Bridge and then on to Kingussie.

It is so exciting when you have never walked these places!

My 2013 sign-out point: Mallaig

David - noticing comments is fun! That's what it's all about.

Coming directly along the shoreline from Ben Alder Cottage (Haunted by An Unpleasantness, so the story goes) there's one point to watch out for. It's at around NN 507 681 - just below Price Charlie's Cave to the SE.

The track narrows and then completely disappears, and you're faced with a 5 or 6 metre scramble to your right over some slabs, which could prove greasy in wet conditions. There's a moderate amount of exposure - worst comes to worst you'll fall into the loch and the ospreys will pick yr bones come summer.

NNE over the Bealach Breabag (Kick-ass Pass) and on to Loch Pattock via Bealach Beath (Birch Pass) and the Allt a' Chaoil-reidhe (The stream that flows through flat ground with no grazing for cattle - great descriptive name as this is a particularly sodden piece of ground) will, as Colin says, see you right and is a more sporting route.

Garrons, by the way, are Clydesdale/Highland-pony crosses. Think scaled-down Chinooks or Landrover Defenders in horse form. Strong and aimable.

HMP3,

"Strong and amiable" -a pretty accurate description of the average vetter one could say, and perhaps also enthusiastic, magnificent, encyclopaedic, dependable, caring, modest, understanding,determined, vastly experienced, reliable, modest, kind, utterly and absolutely safety concious, trustworthy, tactful, full of spunk and grit, oozing humility and totally, totally inscrutable, but perhaps above all,.. utterly modest.

Thanks Humphrey and Chris who eats outdoorsgrub.

I hadn't planned to cut down to Ben Alder Cottage so I can avoid the dice with a swim in the Loch scramble that you mention. My current plan after Uisge Labhair is to ford (?) the stream somewhere near 461722 and then head approx NE to the path that goes across Bealach Dubh and down to Loch Pattack, where I shall, apparently, be eaten by those garron pony thingies. I have had the bothy at Culra Lodge recommended as a potentially sociable camping spot but that might give me too long a walk the following day when I need to get to Kingussie and a real bed. Still, I shall have to see how it is going after the Uisge Labhair....

Rob,
Probably a bit late to be any help as others have covered this, but are you sure you were on the path when you found it so disgusting. The first time I did this I strayed onto an argocat track which is, indeed, pretty horrible. I am also aware of a couple of challengers, names withheld, who made the same mistake and had a hard time getting back down again. The path on the map is actually quite nice and well defined - there are many worse.

If you are heading for Dalwhinnie it is easier not to cross where shown on the map - carry on until about NN468725 where the water splits (divide and conquer) - this is shown on an Explorer map but not Landranger.

Colin.

Thanks Colin. I have marked that GR on my map!