​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glen Mazeran access

Aussie Mike,

G'day

Although the Burma Road from near Caggan over into Lynwilg is a bit of a motorway, don't dismiss it entirely as, in good viz conditions, the descent down beside the Allt Dubh into Lynwilg gives absolutely stunning views of the western Cairngorms. Can't help with the turbine issue. Caggan is now refurbished and occupied and Jeff is right about the camping at NH823157 - I pitched there once during a most horrendous lightning storm which came and went for most of the night- not nice.....

Colin

The electric fence between Mazeran and the Red bothy goes for miles and miles and miles and is a double fence - making it extra difficult.

However, there's a track to the summit of Carn Dubh where there's a gate. Cross the fence there and there'll be no need for any shocking experiences.

I have been thinking about either going from Inverfargaig to Kingussie via Glen Markie/ river Eskin to Coignafearn lodge then south via Elrick burn and past Pitmain Lodge or taking the more northerly Glen Mazeran route to Aviemore. I can't quite work out how it is best to get from Glenmazeran Lodge to Caggan. Can anyone suggest how it is best to cross this stretch of country?

Lindy, i found the easiest way was to pass Mazeran lodge,over the brige at Dalmigavie lodge,then follow the lr track at NH772242 up. There is a wooden beaters hut near the head of the burn, a welcome respite for a brew. From the top of Carn Dubh 'Ic an Deoir head SW to Carn Thearlaich,directly S. you will pick up a lr track by the Allt an Tudair down to the Red Bothy or Caggan.

Thank you all for the responses, and thank you for the heads up on the electric fence!

Ok, so it looks like Carn Dubh and later, Burma Road it is.

Lindy, if you read the responses above with an OS map (Explorer 417) in hand, you should see how to cross from Glen Mazeran to Caggan. If not, be there on the first Wednesday of the Challenge and I'll demonstrate how to get lost Aussie-Style.

Mike

Hi Mike

You can find what's proposed for the Monadhliath by looking at THIS MAP.

Of the wind power stations shown on the map, the one at Farr is already built, Dunmaglass and Corriemoney are under construction, the Allt Duine public inquiry has just finished (and we are waiting for the decision) and the remainder are in planning or being scoped for planning.

Visit the Monadhliath now before it is totally destroyed.

In 2010, I continued past Glenmazeran Lodge and found an isolated campsite on the River Findhorn just before Easter Strathmoon. Next day I continued up a track just before Clune then cross country to connect with Wade's Military Road. I don't remember any big issues with navigation or boggy conditions. The forest tracks down to Aviemore are a bit convoluted but you get there in the end.