​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nearly there - but is there .............................................

Passed the hotel at 'that' bridge last week - appeared to still be open www.allarguearmshotel.co.uk

If the pub at Cick Bridge (misspelled to prevent censorship)is still open- don't believe them if they tell you that you can camp in the garden (you can't, it's tilted and full of dogs) or that you have successfully booked a bed. (You can confirm this when you turn up)
The food was really good, though.

Thanks Laura,

Ooooh - it's got a wee bunkhouse too!

Just need to work out when I'll be there.

Thanks too, Mike - I did think of camping nearby, but the bunkhouse sounds good.

Gordon, you might want to check if the Allargue Arms does actually have a bunkhouse. I think I asked about it this year and it's no longer in use (or I may be getting mixed up with somewhere else).

What I can confirm is that you can get a strong enough O2 phone signal, half an hours walk away along the Don, to be able to look up the hotel's phone number on t'interweb and phone them up and book a bed. I was completely exhausted that evening and the only thing keeping me going was the thought of beer and a dinner made by somebody else. Thank goodness I was a day behind the main group and could get a room.

As for the Feughside pub; if you're coming down the old Military Road, don't be distracted by the HORRIBLE caravan park that's a few hundred yards before the junction. The proper campsite is next to the pub like Phil says. I had a marvellous frittata! (Didn't even know what one of those was when I ordered, but it was grand!)

There's no bunkhouse at Malehen Bridge. They might confirm that there is on the phone, but when you get there, they'll tell you there's no bunkhouse. I got the feeling that if you asked for stabling for your twenty camels, they'd confirm that this would be fine but you'd get a blank look on arrival.
A friendly farmer (plied with a substantial amount of tan-coloured liquid) said we could camp in his field "with the tups". The field is next to the bridge within hirpling distance of the bar. There's a couple of roadside spots down there too.
There's another ex-bunkhouse/hostel a little way South thats not there anymore either.
The tups were mainly harmless by the way although one of them did struggle a bit as I was trying to get him into the sleeping bag.

Feughside Inn - this is the camp site that you want Mr G - right next door!

Thanks, Phil.

BTW are you + mad bad + grandad on the wednesday night (before the Challenge)sleeper from Euston?

BTW are you + mad bad + grandad on the wednesday night (before the Challenge)sleeper from Euston?

Gordon. In a moment of aberration I agreed to let that railway aficionado Alan "Fat Controller" Sloman arrange the travel, so there is a very fair chance. Almost certain I'd say.

I just hope he won't have a coffin with him this time

A chap with knackered kidleys should always be prepared for the worst, I say. The coffin might well come in handy. Fortunately it's already in Scotland, ready for when needed, so we won't need to smuggle it aboard the Sleeper this time.

We're meeting up in the "Bree Louise," next to Euston Station on the Wednesday evening, Gordon.

"Grandad" is the youngest in the party, I'll have you know.

alan.sloman
"Grandad" is the youngest in the party, I'll have you know.

CHRONOLOGICALLY!

Thanks for the superb replies.

I may well try to find a pitch by the road. Not sure about trying to stuff sheep inside my sleeping bag. Last time I tried that....................... But, knowing how knack I may be I could end up doing what Judith did. A good bed is great for recuperation.

I am one to talk about "Grandad". I've got a 14yr + 15yr + 10 weeks old.

Brie Louise shold be a hoot!