​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The envelope has landed....

Yee-haa. Just booked my bed at Torridon. The rest is in the lap of the Gods.

Unfortunately also a great big clang, good luck to everyone on the Challenge, hope Alan and I will be there next year!!

Doing cartwheels (badly!) as have got a nice big brown envelope too! See you there! :-)

Handed to me personally by the postie ( I'm sure she thinks I've been stalking her for the last few days)

Luckily we are in, commiserations to those who were unsuccessful.

I know the feeling, I applied in 1994 and got turned down and have been sulking ever since.

Thanks to all those who published blogs and photo's which inspired us to apply again.

We are looking forward to hopefully meeting all the characters ( infamous and otherwise) at some time on our journey.

Now off to the pub to celebrate and practice an important part of our preparations, two pints please landlord!

Well here I go as a first timer. Big brown envelope in the post. Must be one of the scariest letters I've had in a long time. I've had butterflies all day, but cannot wait to get planning.

Looks like Joe got a letter too. Click here for a Monster Groove

I have got a place! - as excited (and scared) as only a first timer can be!! Commiserations to all those who weren't so lucky. Now to get down to some serious planning, training and reviewing of gear . . .
Sue M.

I know the feeling of being a first timer.

In some ways I envy folk who are doing the TGOC for the first time. It's a magic experience.

I also know how it feels to be so far down the standby list that there is no chance of getting in.

But, there is also that hugh feeling of relief when the man from Seattle says - YES

So, I look forward to meeting some new faces and some old faces - and, hopefully, some who have yet to get in

Heh Gordon, Seattle? I wish!

Answered 35 SB list queries so far… I might emigrate!

Well, John,

Settle - Seattle................... a

is the only difference :-)

I am on the standby list.
With my number i could be in or not, so ill wait a few months to see if i go to Scotland or maybe Sweden...

Letter received and after the disappointment of not getting on this years challenge, have made it for next year's.

Only on the SB list but as we are No's 1 & 2 I guess it's Oban here we come!!!
We look forward to meeting you all on the way, good luck everyone.
Jenny Headscarf & Ian

I'm in also. Really looking forward to it and hoping the weather will be better than previous crossings ('09 & '12).

My commiserations to those on the standby list. There is always the Cape Wrath trail (that was my 'plan B').

Bernie

I'm in yipee. But i feel bad about those who are not in. See folks on May - plan to start on firday this year so as not to be 2 days behind everyone as in 2012

I'm in, YES! Thank you! Commiserations to those who didn't get in this time. My plan B was to do another (shorter) challenge event, or two. Looking forward to meeting you all in May.

My week just improved immensely! Thank you. Sympathies to those who received the other sort of envelope.

Seems like maps will be a big part of this winter!

Yipee !!!!!!!!!! Got the brown envelope, I’m Looking forward to having a good laugh and meeting you all along the way, by the way I’m a virgin so please be gentle with me! Sign out will be Oban. Commiserations to all on the waiting list.

...being a virgin; beware of bearded bellied boys departing from Oban!

Dammit, didn't get in. Not on the SB list either. Sh@t
That's what comes of not entering!!
Otherwise occupied in 2013, but will be back in 2014, Inshallah
510 days and counting

How's about that then, I'll be side stepping people doing the crossing in shell suits and cigars smokers!

Is there an award for anyone who misses out 10 times? A plaque, with a suitable inscription would be nice, who knows, some may even look forward to being well down the Standby List!

The postman has not reached Barbados yet, but my name in on the Event Details. YES!!!! Have to look for a start point that I can find on the map!

W

The Brie Louise near Euston?

Re: The envelope has landed....Talking of cheese...

Does anyone know if Mr Sloman has picked where the party is to be next year? Think I'm going to be too far north again.

Party points will be revealed shortly.

There's a lot of promise in that comment Andrew, but probably not much excitement.

Hello Goddess

This year there will be two (yes, TWO!!!) Cheese & Wine Parties as it's Lord Elpus's 10th Challenge and we want to do it well. The locations and dates have been determined: Wild places for true Cheese & Wine Connoisseurs.

The invites have been prepared and Lord Elpus will be along presently to hand them out on this message board.

'Joined at the hip' - but only if you're all in the same part of the train when it splits at Crianlarich! Naming no names of course AS.

Ah.
Yes.
Hello Stan.
I was perfectly happy for that bit of the train to go to Morar, even if the driver was not. They really should listen to their customers a bit more closely...

or something.

Hoping to bring the balloons - locations willing....

Val Machin
Hoping to bring the balloons - locations willing....

You are a star Val.
I still have last years attached.
They are a bit deflated now though.
I need new ones

Stan in the Buff
'Joined at the hip' - but only if you're all in the same part of the train when it splits at Crianlarich! Naming no names of course AS.

Indeed

Andrew W
The Brie Louise near Euston?

Sounds like a good start point!
William

krokus
Is there an award for anyone who misses out 10 times? A plaque, with a suitable inscription would be nice, who knows, some may even look forward to being well down the Standby List!

Did you know the Standby list extends to number 92. How do I know this?

Now about that plaque ------

Ah yes. Glen Garioch is a fine dram. Click here for the full story

Me (our) ship came in...!

After two years of trying in at the first attempt - hurrah! To all you people who didn't get on and are sat waiting on the standby list, hold hard and be of good cheer. If memory serves correct last year we were in at 29/30 - and I'm not sure but the year before may even have been lower down the list - in each case we / I still got in. Good luck to you all.

PS I notice there are a few first timers in my area, if anyone wants to meet so I can tell them the people to steer clear of let me know

Re: The envelope has landed . . . Elvis has left the building

Let the fever begin! And welcome to our one hundred first-timers - you keep us young! But do remember that the Venerable Vetters/Vetteressoes should be supplied with excellent Single Malts at all times . . . (no muttering at the back, please . . . )

Re: The envelope has landed . . . Elvis has left the building

HMP3,

You really do snivel so well= an inspiration to those first timers who may not know how to approach or aqddress those sacred individuals......

Make sure its a Glen Garioch (brewed in Oldmeldrum)