​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A log burning iPhone anyone?

my first real solo was on outward bound eskdale.gas stoves were not allowed or not available. the day was wet wet wet, i collected dry kindling under a local railway bridge.i was the only one to cook a meal that night,(i do not think the leader believed me to this day).i do not believe that i could repeat it (ligghting a fire) in Scotland on the TGO, UNLESS i carried dry kindling from home.however good luck to all and to anyone who gives it a go.

What a neat bit of kit if all you need is dry kindling. Watched the video (no sound though). Liked the idea of it being used in third world areas.

Hope it does well.

Torridon is going to busy this year. Maybe we could share a stove between us?

Before you part with your dosh, I would take a look at this review first...

LINK

Philip might be on the Challenge in 2013. You can chat to him to find out about it on his blog.

WAARGH! The link through from Al's post pretty much destroys the credibilty. Anyone out there has direct exerience?

I don't think the idea of this product is to recharge a phone from dead but to give your phone a wee bit of a top up while you make a cuppa. In this respect it is a bit like using a solar charger, you won't achieve a full charge but will top the charge up enough to keep you going. I have used a solar charger on the Challenge, when I had a new camera that I couldn't get a spare battery for. It did keep my camera going all the way across but is far heavier than one or two extra camera batteries.

Given the weight I think this is one of those products that is a good idea but not of any practical benefit on the Challenge.

Ian C.

Agreed,Ian. Sweet product, but maybe not enintirely fit for our paticular purpose, Oh yea!

I cary a couple of spare batteries. One for the cameras is 40gm. Two for the 'phone is 80gm.

The camera is a phone - duh - and it's my main piece of hardware.

Simples, que no?

And now, of course, there's this "Power Pot" that does a similar job. It works at about the same rate as the woodburner, but with a lot less mess and a lot less weight:

LINK

Here's the specification: Click HERE

And here's how it works: Click HERE

A review can be found by clicking HERE

alan.sloman
And now, of course, there's this "Power Pot" that does a similar job. It works at about the same rate as the woodburner, but with a lot less mess and a lot less weight:

LINK

Here's the specification: Click HERE

And here's how it works: Click HERE

A review can be found by clicking HERE

For goodness sake, buy a *****ng spare battery!

We had this years ago it was a steam engine, they still use a similar principle to generate electricity.
Me, I'm waiting for the FUSION STOVE!

Here it is working