​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OS Map Edition numbers?

I bought a couple of maps from Dash4It last week (see Humphrey's post) and was very satisfied with the service. I am now going through all my Challenge area OS maps comparing the date of revision with the details given on the OS' webpage to see which ones of those I should replace while the price is good.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the "Edition". On my Challenge maps, these are all B, C or D and usually followed by a number. For example, my copy of 42 Glen Garry & Loch Rannoch is Edition B1, was revised for selected changes in 2002 and reprinted for minor changes in 2004. The current version is edition B2 and dated 31/10/2011 according to the OS webpage.

So does that mean there were no changes to that map between 2004 and 2011? Does a change of Edition number indicate that there have been significant revisions? Does the Edition change everytime the map is revised or reprinted?

I can't find any explanation on the OS webpage. Does anyone know what these B1, C3 etc numbers mean, please?

Re: OS Map Edition numbers?

Judith,

If you go here www.fieldenmaps.info/articles/editions/ You may find your info.

Barry

And here's an excellent tool that lets you do a reverse search back from any location by:

Typing a British or Irish address, post code or place name in the location box;

or

Panning and zooming the key map.

Click here to go to the site

A great tool when filling out those route sheets!

Thanks, Barry. Yes, that's very informative. I had not realised that I also have to pay attention to the underlining underneath the (eg) C3 code, as that indicates the level of minor changes.

This also helps me better understand the OS website. I thought that an edition listed as "C2-" was a typo, but I now realise that the "-" indicates minor revisions to the C2 edition.

All fascinating stuff!