​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Travelling by Plane with Liquids in the Hold

Russ had his in a Platy in the hold.
I remember his arriving at Glasgow.
A distinct aroma of Jack Daniels. Not ideal in Glasgow with police roaming about.

Alan

Mais oui, of course I have applied for the Challenge, I have an addictive personality.

Fall back plan is Cape Wrath Trail and if I get into the TGO, I am thinking that I will back to back it with CWT.

What a beastly summer!

Jane Egg

Most of my A level physics and chemistry is lost in the mists of time but from what I can remember with altitude gases will expand more than liquids (per unit volume). However if it gets cold enough for the liquid to freeze it will expand more becuase it is forming crystals. The answer therefore is to put the whisky in a larger platypus than it needs to allow space for expansion but to get as much air out as possible.
On a practical note rough handling by ground crew might have caused Russ's rupture rather than the air pressure. I'd make sure it is well wrapped up and protected by something solid - I keep mine in my pan and I also wrap it in a sealed plastic bag so any leaking liquid can be salvaged.
I might be over cautious but I am married to a Yorkshireman and to lose such a precious substance would be grounds for divorce up here!

Cargo holds are pressurized so this isn't an issue.

Just leave it in the bottle and decant when you arrive. There's no problem with spirits in hold luggage, you're just not allowed to take it in hand baggage through security. Or you can buy it once you've gone through as others have said.