​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jet Boil or???

Any of the catalytic stoves, such as the Jet Boil, are great at boiling water quickly but are not good for cooking. I use an MSR Reactor and find it fantastic for the Challenge when all I'm doing is boiling water for tea, coffee and dehydrated meals. It is very fast to boil and very economical with gas but if I'm going backpacking for the weekend and want to heat non dehydrated food I take a different stove. So yes the catalytic stoves are great for what they are but they only have 2 settings; inferno and off.

Ian C.

Yep Ian.

I only want it for water.
If I am packing and cooking meals, I can take my pan and an alternative stove.

I couldn't find a purple one Louise, but there is always BLUE or GREEN

So I may have an answer.

Well, an answer I am looking for.

I have a Flash (it's purple and beautiful) and I just love it. Ian is quite right, for the Challenge when all you want is a hot drink or hot water to rehydrate some cardboard, this type of thing is just the ticket and I've certainly never had a problem with mine. Love it!

I got a little primus thingy - only weighs a couple of ounces and it's great for thirty of your Earth pounds - does porridge without burning the pot. I wouldn't bother with a jetboil - just a fad. Get a stove you can simmer with late at night.

My favourite dehydrated food is Scouse. (with the shellsuit removed)

Knipe,

you are taking this message Board seriously, aren't you??

+

I'm with Louise. I love mine, and most of all because it uses half the gas my good old pocket-rocket did - or less. I really believe in spending money on good quality dehydrated main courses (blessings on Chris at Outdoors Grub), since evening is really my only "proper" meal of the day.

I'd LOVE a blue one of course! But at much reduced price for an older (black) model I'm not complaining.

Exactly Jean.
Outdoors Grub, heat and eat in the bag.
Get good quality ones.
And don't need so much gas.

I switched to a Jetboil Sol Ti this Challenge having used a Solo Primus to save weight - two issues with the Sol Ti are that the lid is flimsy, and that it is difficult to detach the cup from heating ring when just boiled. However I rate it more than I did the Primus and will take the Jetboil again. However just today Outdoor Magic is running an item on a new Primus you might want to check out

Um . . . it's almost the end of The Silly Season before we all get serious. So may I say that for years I've used an Optimus Crux, which is absurdly light (60gm or so) and has let me simmer my porridge, make toast and create gourmet meals of pork loin and fillet steak with no difficulty. We all have our favourites, and we all have differing needs. For myself, I like to be able to simmer as well as go for a fierce roiling boil. And, as an eccentric plutocrat (big Hugz 2 Lord Elpus oh yea), I go for comfort and convenience.

It's a big tent. And we're all having fun.

Apart from the cost of the small cylinder I can't
fault it for a fast convenient way to boil
water.Especially within the tent on a wet night. Cheers.

??? for me - much better than Jet Boil

Get the Jetboil Zip, more compact, more room for Tennents Super.

Surely that's a reason not to get the zip.
That's the Tennant's, not the size :-)