​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sleeping matts

Does anyone have any useful experience of Klymit Inertia X Lite mats? Do you roll off them? Do they puncture easily? There must be scope there for silly replies! Twintower

Re: sleeping matts

Hi David
From looking at THIS VIDEO it seems you can stuff the mat inside your sleeping bag so I would imagine this would stop you rolling off it.

Having the mat inside your sleeping bag should also reduce the risk of punctures.

I won one of the full length version of the X Mat last year. I've found I don't roll off it and the insulation from the ground is very good, your sleeping bag lofts into the holes. The downside is it is nowhere near as comfortable as my Neo Air and I don't get as good a nights rest when using it so it tends to get left at home. If I was looking for a new mat for the Challenge I wouldn't buy one of Klymit mats.

Ian C.

With a claimed burst pressure of just 10psi for this item you'll need to map your topical gravitational load. This is inversely proportional to your BMI working from base to top. If your figure is >10psi then it would probably be a risky purchase.

I've been using the Klymit for a couple of years, and Mike has the short version. We used them on the Challenge and back-packing across the Pyrenees. I like a soft bed, and always fuss over choice of mat etc, but the incredibly tiny weight and pack size makes the Klymit absolutely worth using. Of course there are some hints and tips: I take a thin closed-cell foam mat in addition (bought to any length off the roll) as I sleep cold and prefer to use that under the Klymit. This also protects from any potential punctures through the tent groundsheet, but I always do this with any airbed. The neat little pump they provide must be used to get the pressure up, then the mat should be perfectly OK all night. I have occasionally had to do an extra air top-up during the night. Tussocky ground can be a challenge (I had tussocks poking through the holes in the mat on one occasion) but tussocks are a trial whatever you are sleeping on, and you are no more likely to roll off this mat than any other.