​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parking at Linn of Quoich.

I'm planning a 3 day backpack hike/recce next week(ish) round the Ben Avon area from Linn of Quoich, and need to park overnight so I wondered what the current situation is re paying or overnight parking (or using/leaving a campervan). I last parked there in the '80s when doing the Munros. I believe other carparks in the area are now pay and display only? I was also considering trying to spend a night at Mar Lodge, and parking there for a few days but they only seem to take group/per week bookings, as far as I can see. Any advice welcome!

Re: Parking at Linn of Quoich.

Marian,

Can't see that you have a problem . I last came through here on this years Challange and the old (free) car parking area over the bridge at Allanaquoich had been closed until structural problems with the bridge had been rectified which it implied might be some time. There were parking facilities on the N side of the road just before the Allanaquoich bridge capable of taking about 20 vehicles and there was no ticket machine etc. Alternatively you could park at the NTS main car park at the Linn of Dee. I've left the car there for overnight and multiday trips several times without any problems - the fee is/was £2. Invercauld Estate have a car park at Keiloch/NO188192 again for a fee of about £2 and you could attack the Ben Avon area via the scrumptious Gleann an t-Slugain or the Bealach Dearg. Again I've left the car there on several occasions without any problems. If doing the latter look out for heaps of red squirrels at this time of the year around the Invercauld House area

Hope this helps and my best to Mike.

Colin

I'd echo Colin's comments and endorse the car park at Keiloch. I've heard that there have been some cars broken into at Linn of Dee; although it's not happened to me. Maybe I've been lucky but I'm always a bit nervous about parking there for long. Keiloch is virtually in sight of houses and there's traffic passing by from the houses instead of the more anonymous L of D. There's a toilet there and it is a very nice walk in without quite the amount of tourist traffic you get further up the road. I'd say go for it.

On Mar Lodge, I have stayed there on one or two nights - I think for around £25 a night, a few years ago - and they were happy for me to leave my car parked there for a few days: no extra charge.

Thank you all for your very helpful and useful responses. Now all I've got to do is pack the rucsac! Oh, and dig out that spare dehydrated food, if the mice haven't got in there first.

All-time least favourite dehydrated food: Albatross on a stick.