​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Garmin eTrex 20 and mapping!

Not sure about the Garmin, because I use the Satmap system.
But normally you have to buy in OS mapping software for your device.
Mostly on an SD card.
Which I am sure you know already.

When I got the Satmap I had to find a balance between cost and where I was going to use it.
So I originally got a National Parks set which did most of the stuff I would evenr need.
Later on I got Full UK 1:50000, but depending upon the amount of detail,
I would have thought the Scotland maps are a bit cheaper.
Not saying this is the best place to buy them, but it does show a good selection and a price to work off.

GarminMaps

I use Memory Map, but try this link http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

I have just upgraded my GPS to the Garmin GPSMap 62ST and bought the whole of the uk on 1:50000 for the GPS unit. for 199 pounds I then down loaded for free Garmin BaseCamp for my computer. When i plug my GPS into the computer and start GarminBAse camp i can view the whole 1:50000 mapping in the Basecamp software to plan and plot my routes and save them to my GPS.

If the eTrex 20, can take the Garmin maps then i think this might be a cost effective solution.

Maps = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Discoverer-All-Great-Britain/dp/B003CP0MSK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346697503&sr=8-4

BTW - The Garmin Basecamp software is the best mapping software i have used, better than memorymap and RouteBuddy.

Thanks for your input, guys. We have just done a tough tour of the Karwendel in Austria and hoped to get a bit of practise with the GPS, but as is normal in the Alps, there was a signpost at every path junction so no need!