​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forestry Commission Map Viewer

I've just tried this to locate my camping spot in the Fetteresso and it's truly wonderful.
My broadband connection is slow and I don't have a particularly pwerful computer but I found it fine.
Thanks for the reminder Humphrey; I've bookmarked the page.

A truly top tip.

What a great resource. It even works with my very flaky rural broadband connection.
Like Joy, I was able to find my Fetteresso campsite quickly - which was more than I managed last May !
Thanks Humph.

Gosh, Humphrey, that is amazing! MUCH more detail than I unearthed when I happened upon FC free mapping last year. There are some places where I'd have saved myself a lot of time wasted on paths on 1/50,000 that didn't exist on the ground (which does happen in agricultural areas), if I'd seen this, with the aerial photography too. Thank you.

It is very wonderful, que no? And the aerial photography is their own. And the 1:5K appears to be as current as one might expect - well at least within the last 6 months.

I also love the overlays - taking a look at canopy cover, native woodland and so forth.

I guess that we're looking at here is the primary tool that the FC use in the fiueld - and fair play to them for sharing this terrific resource with the wider community.

I particularly like the fact that you can immediately locate an OS reference. I've been using this in conjunction with the two leading mapping software providers. Once you know where you are - or might be - then the ability through the FC site to get down to 1:5K is simply wonderful. I've tested their mapping against some complex areas that I know well from previous, and they're right on the money.

And now - let's hear it for Tock's Triffic Trekking Tipz and in particular for any fresh intelligence he has on the General State of The Bridges! Let's pull it all together . . .