​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
discreet camping spot advice please

I've a very short day into Braemar and a much longer one into Ballater taking the recommended route through the Balmoral estate that parallels the A93.
I wonder if someone knows of a camping spot - accessed between Inver bridge and Invergeldie would be ideal - so I could even out the days a bit.
I'm aware that this is a sensitive area. You can email me.

Re: discreet camping spot advice please

Not on ones ruddy nelley- one's Mummy would certainly be highly displeaed!!

c&m

I was waiting for this

Have you considered a route to the north of the Dee, or are you set on the road-walk from Balmoral to Ballater - which can be tiresome? I've found that Braemar > Ballater by the direct route is around six hours, depending on the previous night's mischief . . .

However going north, tho' longer, does keep you in more interesting country - with some navigation puzzles to keep you sharp and perky. No problems whatsoever with campsites, and a nice descent into Ballater at the end.

No, I hadn't considered it Humphrey - 'cos it's over the top of the map! How very stupid. I've done many of the southerly routes and thought I'd just bimble along in a straight line.
I'm back to the drawing board right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joy,

Well you did rather put yourself in the firing line if I may say! And not wishing to to offend HRH or his Mum or jepodise the potential chance of being made an OBE or even knighted for services to Scottish hillwalking and backpacking I will not disclose any potential spots on that side of the River Dee.

But as old Hump has said, the N side of the Dee out of Braemar is just as nice as the bit through the Ballochbuie and with many different route options available .But if you want to stay as closely to the line of your query I can suggest a wild camp at Felagie just NE of Keilloch. It is a locked building used infrequently by the Girl Guide movement and has a stonkingly good level grassy pitch adjacent. If you do use this aim to be there later rather than earlier as the area is often busy with day walkers out of Keilloch. The down side is that the best available water is some distance away at the burn at NO195931 accessed from a track not marked on the 50000 slightly NE of Felagie.

If you want to plod on a bit further on the ROW (with timber being extracted along much of its length) there is a superb level grassy field just over the Feardar Burn on the N side of the quiet metalled road at NO22672 93790. However DO NOT uplift water from the adjacent Feardar Burn, however clean and clear it may look, as this burn runs through a field just N of Balmore where there are normally lots of cows and lashings and lashings of cow poo everywhere including lots in the burn and on the banks. Instead uplift water from the burn that runs down the side of the field in which you are pitched. This pitch is visible from the road but there is very little vehicle traffic and the owner of the field, a sheep farmer was not the least bothered about me pitching there in April.

Alternatively stagger down to the Inver Hotel for a quiet soupcon, or two.

regards,

Colin

Respect! And we look forward to the continuing Terrfic Tocking Tips,oh yea!

On another note, I must confess that Ballater is a gorgeous stop-over, with a multitude of options to the coast. A cracking route across to Tarfside, a splendid high-level traverse to the coast via Mt Keen and the quagmire that eventually leads to the mighty (and gloriously spooky) Fetteressoe, or a sweet low-level bimble to Aberdeen. All have their particular charm, and all are worth consideration.

Braemar to the coast doesn't have to be a grisly business, and there are a multitude of options. Stay (relatively) high and wild and these last three daze can be an unexpected joy.

Working on the northerly route to Ballater right now Humphrey. And your suggested camp spot could be right on the money, Colin. You deserve an OBE for all those details.
Getting so excited. It's a lovely feeling to do the planning without the prospect of being 94th on the standby list.

Further to Humph's message; I'm afraid that the Fetteresso is becoming less spooky by the day as the FC harvest vast swathes of it - I'm starting to wonder if it will still be classified as a forest next May.

Joy, if the weather is seriously good, what about up to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor and over the tops to Lochnagar? Must confess I didn't stop overnight, but surely there are discreet spots up there! Or have you been there too often before?

Hello there Jean
Yes, I've been that way. A grand route.
Are you into planning yours yet?

thanks for that Colin.

Me and about ten mates have decided to camp at this nice quiet spot on this years chally....thanks !

Oh, bu........er!

The minute I pressed the "send" button I thought to myself that I should have asked Joy to keep this info strictly to herself. Can you imagine hordes and hordes and yet more hordes of smelly, orrible,dishevelled, bedraggled, unwashed, unkempt, beer drinking, dehydrated food-munching, vetter-bashing ordinary Challengers turning up and spoiling the sublime bliss of these idyllic pitches????

yuk!,

cj

ps Pete, who did you say was vetting your route next year?

It's all right Colin.
I'll get there early and put up the razor wire.