​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spot device.

I am going to the Himalayas in November and am contemplating purchasing a Spot device. Dose anyone have any experience of using Spot in that part of the World and does its usefulness justify the additional expence?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Pat.

Re: Spot device.

Hi Pat,

I have had a SPOT device (the original model) for about 3 years but can only vouch for its use in UK.

Originally purchased for the TGO Challenge following the poor/no reception of mobile phones in the wilds of Scotland. This loss of contact for possibly two to three days was a worry for my wife and the OK message (e-mail) of the SPOT device answered that immediate problem with the additional link to Google Earth showing her my location and the developing journey.

My own survey comparing the success of calls on my mobile with the e-mails sent by SPOT clearly show the latter as an outright winner. Additionally SPOT is able to summon emergency services in a life threatening situation be that for yourself or another.

I still test the device every Sunday on a local walk and monitor the results for total messages sent/received and the accuracy of the GPS location. It is rare that an OK message is not received and the accuracy is generally within 10 –20 meters when stationary. The accuracy can be affected if the OK button is activated on the move.

The device is sturdy, weather proof and because I only switch it on prior to sending the OK message the batteries have lasted me 18 months. From memory I believe the device cost me £125 + an annual fee of about £90.

It is fair to say that whilst mobile phone coverage has improved over recent years you still get areas with poor/no signal and SPOT is willing and able to fill that gap.

Some may consider it’s a costly outlay but when the OK message arrives its worth every penny to those at home worried about a lack of communication!!!

Re: Spot device.

Hi Pat, I've been contemplating the same thing!

But trek leaders often carry satellite phones in case of emergency: I'm going to find out about that too. Will e-mail you.

jean