​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mapping software

Satmap is compatible with Memory-Map.

I should have added that you can't (I can't anyway!) export routes to Satmap from MM directly, but you can save the MM route as a .gpx and export via Satsync. If you can, I'd 'try before you buy'. I don't bother exporting routes to Satmap because it's just too much bother to be honest.

Personnaly I use QUO 2, and I have a Satmap, and they work well together. But the maps do cost about £100 depending upon current offers.
I am not going to change from Quo, but the market is ever changing.
What I like about Quo, is the fact that you can buy 10K 1:25000 Tiles as and when you want to add to your maps, which helps with planning.
And planning and plotting routes is easy.
The 3D landscape feature is not that good on it, but it links directly to Google Earth, so why do you need 3D on the map? (My opinion).

Having said that, Al used Route Buddy last year, and rated it quite highly.

I have also used Grough Route, which is an on line service, but you pay for it monthly (currently £2.00) per month, and it goes down to 1:25000, which is excellent value, although I found plotting routes not as easy as on Quo.
You can also save your Grough routes as gpx which is compatible with Satmap.

Finally, there is Viewranger which works on iphone and Android.
It is a great little App, but on a long haul, it uses gps and sucks the life out of your phone.

Well, that's my input.

Why not just re-install the mapping software you had?

John

Hi guys
Thanks for all your input.
I bought Memory map Southern Scotland for £30 in Tiso in Glasgow on Sunday for £30.
I Just need the North Scotland disc at a cheap price to finish the set.
John H I could not reinstall the original hardware as I got this on the QT.

My Satmap gave up on supersunday on this years challenge, got soaked & the circuit board died. I had used the Satmap website to load the routes using their software. Its not as easy as viewranger, but after registering its usable . Got SD map cards to ebay now

The SatMap is supposed to be rainproof. Perhaps it's not supersundayproof ? Why didn't you send the device to them for repare ?

Which SD map cards have you got on ebay and do you have a link for easy finding ?

Theo

I know that none of us rely entirely on electronic devices and that we all carry paper maps and compasses.

Click here for a piece in today's paper titled "Police had to rescue 16 people who got lost in the Cairngorms after they had relied on smartphone apps to plot their routes"

It's not just having a map, it's knowing how to read it. I came through the Lairig Ghru on Monday and chatted to a couple of walkers coming in the opposite direction. They looked to be well equipped and initially gave the impression that they knew what they were doing. After a few minutes of chatting one of them asked how far it was to the junction with the main path. I was a bit confused about this so he pulled out his map and said we are about here, pointing to the path about 1Km from where we were, and the junction was here, pointing to the point where the local authority boundary crossed the path. They thought because the local authority boundary was a bolder line it must be a more major path.

If I had made that mistake I'd have felt embarrassed at my own stupidity but even after I pointed out to them that if they had looked at the key on the map it was clear what the different symbols meant they continued to blame the map.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

Ian C.

No worries Humphrey. I'll carry laminated A4's and a compass. A4's cos I once had a OS map completely ruined on top of the Mamores during a wet and windy day and a compass cos I've always had one with me. The SatMap is for the occasional 'no views' or for completely changed plans.