​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Self Debreafing.

It's all part of life's rich pattern, Grumps. We are all so old now that we can bask in the sun like the lizards we are.

As for river crossings, I would remind all Challengers that I have declared a Fatwa on Crocs. They are a Fashion Abomination. Better to wear Innov8s and move straight through the water, la la. Day of Goretex? Pouf, says I . . .

I find myself hopelessly split on the matter of Crocs:

On the one hand, yes, they are a fashion abomination and the wearers should be taken out and be put up against the wall by the Fashion Police.

Yet... On the other: If you are walking with a chap who sports such beasts and he is a bit of a racing snake and tends to leave you for dust, when it comes to the rivers, there is the colossal faff when they remove their shoes, socks and trousers, sling the whole caboodle around their neck and then shuffle across the torrent in the day-glo foot attire. Of course, at the far bank, the process is reversed.

All this takes a good twenty minutes allowing the slow plodder that is yourself plenty of time to catch the Fashion Victim and pass him, simply by ploughing into the maelstrom in your plimmies. You are then in the Fife Arms supping pints of the black stuff while they are still drying their tootsies.

But then again, the Unfortunate Croc Victims also spend endless hours stuffing the beasts inside their rucksacks every morning, for fear of the scorn that will undoubtedly be heaped upon them for displaying the beasts on the outside of their packs. This all takes time, and perhaps explains why Young Andy Walker is so often late most mornings...

That was, as our American Cuzzins would remark, Cruel and Unusual . . .

But seriously (HA!, Ed . . . ) since discovering Innov8s last year my life has become considerably simpler. I've just got back from three weeks in the Basque country and Western Pyrenees in conditions that would make this year's Challenge a walk in the park. My feets were good to go at all times. Rivers? Snowfields? Ho! Just walk straight through them. Curiously enough, our skin is waterproof . . .

I am surprised that on one has tried these on the challenge

Five Fingers

At least one Challenger must have...

I saw these footprints on the way to Fort Augustus on 15th May

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

george
I am surprised that on one has tried these on the challenge

Five Fingers

Freddie used them at camps, and one chap from the US wore them all the way across.

Lost:

A blue Croc; size 10

Last seen heading downstream towards White Bridge.

Reward for finder.

BTW it was a left Croc.

I saw it the other day, on the Harwich to Hoek ferry. Not a single gull went near it.

Gordon Green
BTW it was a left Croc.

Don't you mean a Left BEHIND CROC

I'll get my coat

Alligators ate all the crocs...

Which ferry was it, Carl?

Are you sure it was a blue one - size 10?

And, ............... left foot?

Umm ................ just remembered - I threw away the right one.

Huh. Such prejudice, Slow Man. I haven't actually tried Crocs, but in view of this thread, I think I'll acquire a bright scarlet pair for my 10th next year (most sociable route possible) and hang them outside my pack always.

I will be deterred only by a promise of pre-route-submission tip-off as to where the 2013 cheese-and-wine party is......

Good news for Croc aficionados!

Just back from a trip to the Picos de Europa - and guess what relaxing footwear the mountaineers wear after a hard day on the Naranjo de Bulnes?

Bright pink Crocs! The Refugio d'Urriellu has rows of 'em in racks by the entrance.

So, if you want to look like a hard man of the hills.

Think pink.

Think Crocs!

Scarlet is perfectly acceptable, Jean. The fatwa is principally directed toward the deeply unpleasant day-glo colours. If you have any doctrinal issues, address them to the usual channels . . .

"Curiously enough, our skin is waterproof . . ." I have been saying this for years so why the bother with Gortex jacket & over trousers, socks, gloves and hats when your skin is quite efficient at repelling water!

Perhaps we should all dare Grumps to give us a demo throughout next year's Challenge......even if the ambient temperature competes with this year's first 8 days.

(Mind you, days 10-14, we might all have been tempted.)

Don't do it, Jean. Grumpo needs no encouragement before removing undergarments in public places!

Humphrey Weightman
Scarlet is perfectly acceptable, Jean. The fatwa is principally directed toward the deeply unpleasant day-glo colours. If you have any doctrinal issues,
address them to the usual channels . . .

So, my dark navy blue crocs are fine then.
Never a great one for Sartorial elegance me.
I am also completely immune to Croc opinions.

And I am going to forsake the Innov8's for Raptors next time.
Still taking the Crocs though.
Guess I need to wstch out for the snti Croc hit squad.